I just read an article on CBS news which is disgustingly full of deception and lies. 

It is entitled:  "Stephen Hawking bashes religion, but what does new paper say about God?"  Steven Hawking announced that there is no way there could be a creator of the universe.  The article can be found here: 

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20089423-10391704.html

Also CBS had another deceptive news cast that made a little black boy appear to want to have a gun and be a criminal when he actually said he wanted to be a police officer but they cut that part out. Of course there is the Rupert Murdoch media empire, all of which I no longer view or take seriously.  The Washington Post is reaching the same lows of Fox News. 

What sources can we trust?  I have a few websites I go to for secular and unbiased news.  Does anyone else feel as if we are being filled with lies more and more and deceptive news? 

Views: 1056

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've only just seen this post and you have to be joking "The situation in the Middle East must, I'm afraid, be viewed from the fence. We cannot afford to "take sides",I suggest you read up more on the subject especially on U.S involvement because it's clear to see to the rest of the world,and yes i would support a huge compensation package to American Indian tribes who had their land taken from them,there is some sort of scheme already I think which the U.S government pays for,but it's nowhere near enough and it doesn't reach all the native American groups.I'm also a firm believer in that if there was no oil in the middle east,America wouldn't even be interested in whats going on there,this is the ultimate motivation,OIL and it always has been.What ever they try to disguise it as these days.  

What would the Native Americans be compensated for? For losing a war? You are aware, aren't you, that the European invasion of North America is hardly unique historically. Are all groups who overran other groups' territory to compensate those who formerly held the land, or is this a penalty ascribed; to Americans uniquely?

While it's to be expected that a government will look out for its country's interests (DUH!), the US interest in Middle Eastern oil is exaggerated. America is not in control of Iraqi oil wells and continues to pay the market price for oil. If American oil companies exploit anyone, it's American citizens not foreign oil producing countries, almost all of whom belong to cartels.

I suggest you read up more on the subject especially on U.S involvement because it's clear to see to the rest of the world

You also should read up on it. I'm intimately involved as I have family and a friend who all live in Israel (my friend's daughter was kidnapped, in fact, by Hamas agents... she escaped and got back home alive, thankfully). So I get to hear what's going on there on an almost daily basis.

I will keep saying this until it sticks into everyone's heads: Israel is not the only country in the Middle East guilty of war crimes.

and yes i would support a huge compensation package to American Indian tribes who had their land taken from them,there is some sort of scheme already I think which the U.S government pays for,but it's nowhere near enough and it doesn't reach all the native American groups.

Should descendants of Ancient Romans give compensation to the descendants of all the ancient cultures Rome conquered? Should descendants of the Monguls give compensation to the descents of all

the people Ghengis Khan conquered?

The US is nothing new. In fact, this is how human history has played out for as long as there have been humans.

I'm also a firm believer in that if there was no oil in the middle east,America wouldn't even be interested in whats going on there,this is the ultimate motivation,OIL and it always has been.What ever they try to disguise it as these days. 

Hate to break it to you, but you're not right. Religion is the problem in the Middle East. Oil is just another exaggerated excuse (like politics and land) people use to avoid implicating the real problem out there.

The US doesn't need the Middle East for oil. We have Canada and the Gulf Coast. In fact, you'd be surprised by how much oil actually comes to us from right here at home.

On top of that, as Unseen said, the US is not in control of the foreign oil markets. In fact, we're paying the very terrorists we're supposed to be fighting for that oil.

"The US doesn't need the Middle East for oil. We have Canada and the Gulf Coast."

The Americas is rapidly becoming the region with the largest untapped reserves, especially as ever improving technology to utilize Athabasca tar sands, shale gas and oil, and deep sea drilling in Brazilian pre-salt oil fields and the Gulf of Mexico emerges.

In 20-30 years the Middle East will probably be looking more towards supplying rapidly growing China and India instead of North America. And the Chinese and Indians are much less tolerant of religious extremism than the Americans...

The historical enemies of the historical newcomers the Saudis are the Egyptians, quite often through proxy wars in Yemen, and Persians  - the Americans are but a temporary distraction. The historical divides between the nations which make up the Islamic world are much greater than the ones dividing the Christian world.

Most don't know that the state sponsored cartel OPEC is one of the main drivers of the oil price by restricting supply, and has no issue in strangling the West over local politics, as clearly evidenced by the boycott after the Yom Kippur war. The largest oil company in the world is Saudi Aramco, not Shell, Chevron-Texaco, ExxonMobil, or BP-Amoco. These only produce a few percent of the world supply.

I find that most people with strong opinions on the Middle East or the oil and gas industry have little to no knowledge of what they are talking about.

You seem to be a rare exception to this rule. :)

Thanks, Arcus. Everything you say is absolutely true.

I have a few reasons for caring about the Middle East. My family and friends are the main reasons.

I was also brought up Jewish, and even the most liberal Jews I know are ultimately pro-Israel. So I was brought up with that, and was pro-Israel myself for many years. I have been able to let that go, but it has also tempered my views on the situation.

Now I tell people that when it comes to the Middle East, I am pro-Peace. Because that is the truth. I'm fully convinced that people who claim to be either Pro-Israel or Pro-Palestine know roughly nothing of the situation over there. Chances are they ignore anything which disagrees with their views.

To put this back on-topic, there is only one real way to circumvent the obvious bias of the news... get a handle on all sides. When it comes to the crisis in the Middle East, I'll watch CNN, Fox, MSNBC, Al Jazeera (sp?), Israeli news sources, listen to NPR, and do research online. I don't make a decision about a particular news story related to the Middle East until I know what everybody is saying about it.

Like everything else, the situation is not black and white. Both Israel and the Palestinian countries can claim good and evil in just about everything they've ever done in the crisis, and both sides need to be forced to deal with the consequences of their actions.

Back to compensating Native Americans again. It's a little late for that, isn't it? Many Americans arrived here well after the continent was conquered. Nobody alive today participated in the conquest. I don't believe that one inherits the sins of one's forebears. The idea of compensation seems to involve the racist theory of race guilt. In that case, the Mongols owe a lot of people a lot of money. Maybe we should bill Germany and Japan for WWII.

"Narratives" have no place in political and historical research, only events. Have you ever noticed how anyone taking a German narrative to WW2 usually get excluded from the debate?

And there is indeed a strong German narrative: The harsh penalties placed upon it after WW1, such as forced demobilization, foreign occupation and massive war debt which extended into the 1980ies, substantial loss of territory such as Elsass-Lotheringen and Prussia, Jewish bankers complicity in the 1920ies financial crisis, government promoted mistreatment of the ethnic German minorities in Sudentenland and Poland, etcetc.

Or should we take a Japanese or Italian WW2 narrative? Pinochet 70ies narrative? Castro narrative? Inquisition narrative? 

It's all just plain silly.

There is where I go to get my news: http://english.aljazeera.net/ Also, they have a epic ipad app. It live streams their live broadcast.

Al Jazeera? I thought you were joking...why would you get your news from a blatantly anti-American and anti-west organization?

When I first had a look at Al Jazeera, I went there just to get the "other" side to the story. I was extremely surprised to find that their reporting was far, far, FAR less biased (toward EITHER side) than any News Corp source. Fox New is a world-wide joke.

My guess is that, as a Fox News viewer, you are really not interest at all in a balanced perspective.

I watch all news - including Al-Jazeera when protests are happening and when I want middle east news - so while their TV coverage is pretty fair most of the time - their op-ed pieces are absolutely trash and anti-American and anti-west.

So I watch Foxnews when I want to be entertained - I don't base my views on what I hear on foxnews. I watch CNN just as often as FoxNews and when I want straight up news, I usually watch CNN. From time to time I also like Chris Matthews and I do like the roundtable Morning Scarborough - so again, while FoxNews has opinionated news programs, it is clear when they have opinionated shows. Shepherd Smith is absolutely non-partisan and is strictly news. In addition, FoxNews provides more scientific and space news than CNN and MSNBC and in fact over the last 2-years have had this great reporter stationed consistently with NASA and have been more enthusiastic with science. In addition, their website provides more up-to-date science news than both CNN and MSNBC. Only BBC has better science news and actually, I watch BBC quite often. I have a TV program on my computer in which I watch BBC and Euronews everyday (more BBC).

So please, use your brain instead of being a partisan hack. Some of us can watch news programs from all the different stations and media sources and have our own thoughts and critical thinking skills. It's just Al-Jazeera has truly asinine anti-American and anti-west op-ed pieces consistently on their site - for the most part, I have no problem with their TV coverage and tune to it when needing my middle east fix.

Ok, but you said: ""

RSS

© 2019   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service