Agnostic doesn't count btw, its not a position of faith, its a position of knowledge; a separate issue.

Views: 451

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you either beleive or you don't. What would the midlle ground be? Nonexistence? There doesn't seem to be room for much more.

Yes, they could be in a state of cognitive dissonance, or could be experiencing difficulty in a transition from theism to atheism.

Not everyone should be under the tyranny of the burden of being intellectually honest at all times.  A crisis of this magnitude sometimes requires a rejection of "shoulds" and a temporary pass to try to transition through it in the least jarring way possible.

Well all I can say is that I don't believe, and if the definition of atheist is not believing then I guess that's what I will be.

Yeah, well, by that logic your doormat is atheist.  It doesn't believe.  So are the dust bunnies under your furniture.  I don't mean to pick on you specifically as many seem to follow this logic, but I think clearly we want a little more than this.  You have to be capable of holding a belief (which means no nutter Xians will be chasing your doormat and dustbunnies down with pitchforks and torches), AND you have to have considered the question, I think, to be either a theist or an atheist.

If one is an atheist simply because he has never heard of god, he is more than likely ripe pickings for the next convincing-sounding evangelist.

Apatheist: you don't care enough to pick.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service