Agnostic doesn't count btw, its not a position of faith, its a position of knowledge; a separate issue.

Views: 466

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you either beleive or you don't. What would the midlle ground be? Nonexistence? There doesn't seem to be room for much more.

Yes, they could be in a state of cognitive dissonance, or could be experiencing difficulty in a transition from theism to atheism.

Not everyone should be under the tyranny of the burden of being intellectually honest at all times.  A crisis of this magnitude sometimes requires a rejection of "shoulds" and a temporary pass to try to transition through it in the least jarring way possible.

Well all I can say is that I don't believe, and if the definition of atheist is not believing then I guess that's what I will be.

Yeah, well, by that logic your doormat is atheist.  It doesn't believe.  So are the dust bunnies under your furniture.  I don't mean to pick on you specifically as many seem to follow this logic, but I think clearly we want a little more than this.  You have to be capable of holding a belief (which means no nutter Xians will be chasing your doormat and dustbunnies down with pitchforks and torches), AND you have to have considered the question, I think, to be either a theist or an atheist.

If one is an atheist simply because he has never heard of god, he is more than likely ripe pickings for the next convincing-sounding evangelist.

Apatheist: you don't care enough to pick.

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Pope Beanie 33 minutes ago. 134 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ed 4 hours ago. 19 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 7 hours ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by David Seidman 13 hours ago. 8 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 17 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 5 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service