Hello fellow non-believers!

I am new to TA but the question I pose is certainly not a fresh one: Can Atheists and Theists co-exist?

We all know that historically Theists and other Theists cannot co-exist peacefully. War and violence in the name of Religion has been widespread over the entirety of human existence, but it has to be said that civility between believers and non-believers in the modern age has been commonplace. Formal (mostly amicable) debates and the agreement on separation of church and state have somewhat proven this theory, right?

Do the majority of Atheists really strive for a world of empty churches, bible burning and the end of religion forever? Maybe some of us do, just as many Theists probably pray for the conversion of all Atheists to Theism.

What can we realistically hope to achieve as Atheists, and in your opinion is it possible to co-exist with the believers?

I'll leave you with some interesting quotes -

“The whole war between the atheist and the theist comes down to this: the atheist believes a 'what' created the universe; the theist believes a 'who' created the universe.”
  - Criss Jami

"I'm noticing an exciting trend around the country: a resurgence of interest in Christian apologetics (the defense of the faith). This is a reaction to the current attacks on the essentials of Christianity that are coming from militant atheists, radical professors, and Internet gadflies."

- Lee Strobel

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world."

- Richard Dawkins

"Religion is part of the human make-up. It's also part of our cultural and intellectual history. Religion was our first attempt at literature, the texts, our first attempt at cosmology, making sense of where we are in the universe, our first attempt at health care, believing in faith healing, our first attempt at philosophy."

- Christopher Hitchens

Tags: argue, atheism, co-existence, debate, religion, society, theism, war

Views: 1501

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That sounds equitable to me, but then I'm not the one who put it up, it's up to him to express his opinion, I can only express mine.

Oops, I probably should have included an '@ Gallup's Mirror' to clarify at whom that post was directed.

Sucks to deal with the insufferable eh?

I once drove out of Wichita. Kansas with thousands of dollars in my pocket. I held the high score for Ms PacMan for months at the Town East theater!

Not a bad place to be from, far from --

Whoa that is all sorts of messed up...GRAPHIC needs to be emphasized even more.

This is a little off topic but maybe worth a look anyway.

@ Gallup - that above is very well said.

If I let "off-topic" worry me, what would I do with all my spare time?

sure we can but that in no way means that our stance or belifs are on equal footing

The answer is yes for now because we have to. Or sometimes... Atheism is a part of our make up too. Just think when people blamed witches when an atheist said " I don't think they are a witch." Then they were called a witch and killed. They can't kill us now. Honestly for the religious -screw them. They are in modern times.

We won't get along. That is not to say I'll be offensive but that is to say I and we willl never let them rest... Just in case they want sleep or a burger or a fillet mignon or whatever... Be nice but don't let them rest. is what i say. If I have not been clear then listen: SCREW THEM. They abuse children. They allow the church to tell them that they are "wicked/Evil without the jesus love. BS I and most other are better off and more up to date than Jesus who would allow those with blind faith to commit heinous acts against mankind..

You can show "2 girls and a cup" for all I  care (and I've never seen it.) You can't shock my point of view. Always be nice and considerate. Listen to people like Kir. She has an awesome heart. Me-tonight I wanna kick some catholic ass. That is just now though. I get emotional sometimes. Do you? If so what will we do about this? Right now I don't wanna get along with Christians. I've dealt with them all night. I'm not a part of them that say :shoot'em all" but pure ignorance isn't good. Their religion has been beat into them in a sense and there is a reason for it

I really don't want them to get away with what they are doing but they are aren't they.

RE: "Listen to people like Kir. She has an awesome heart."

FYI, Jared, Kir is a he.

Hehe.Thats funny. ...Uhm sorry bout that Kir? He has an awesome heart.

RSS

Blog Posts

coexist

Posted by aubrey knows nothing * on October 23, 2014 at 9:25pm 1 Comment

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 7 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service