I found this on a web site and thought you guys would find it interesting. Also could you explain how this works in the context of gradualist evolution.

"The punctuated reality of the fossil record is best exemplified by the "Cambrian explosion." Virtually every animal phyla (including chordates and many phyla now extinct) appeared during the short geological moment called the Cambrian explosion (13). This period of time is now known to have covered a period of time of less than 10 million years (1415). The diversity of life and the variety of body designs has led Stephen Jay Gould to make the following statement:"

"We have reason to think that all major anatomical designs may have made their appearance at that time."16

Dr. Stephen Jay Gould

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Why do you ask questions that you don't want the answer to? You are a creationist. If you believe in a literal Bible, you are a lost cause, no amount of evidence can persuade you of the truth. The consensus has been here for nearly 100 years among scientists. Darwin was right, the end. It is only the ignorant masses who continue to deny. Much the same as many Muslims continue to deny the Holocaust, and there are those that deny the moon landing. It's a consensus, these things happened. Macro Evolution [ the evolution of species to other species] has happened, and still is.
You can't win an argument like this. The evidence for evolution is so strong that you are already trying to dig your way out of a Mt. Everest of research, books, journals, fossils, photographs, and diagrams.

As I said, having dealt with creationists before... I do not think I can reach you. Most creationists have heads as thick as a steel drum, but I will try anyway.
Many of your questions can be answered on this site, for starters.
[But don't just look at one site, pick up some books about evolution that were written by the scientists who study it.]
http://www.talkorigins.org/

A book I would Highly Recommend for you:
Evolution for Everyone -David Sloan Wilson
http://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Everyone-Darwins-Theory-Change/dp/0...
It really is too bad nobody has written a book called Debunking Creationists For Dummies.
There is the Counter Creationism Handbook. But, it is essentially Talk Origins in paper form.
Wrong, Mario, there is a book for dummies that that makes fools of creationists: their bible.
Cognitive dissonance is fun. That said, I think that David is actually a bright kid who will probably go far if he can learn to use his brain for genuine inquiry about the universe instead of fabricating increasingly complicated explanations to accommodate an ancient text. The problem lies in attempting to construct evidence for pre-existing conclusions; life can only be truly understood by reversing the process.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 8 minutes ago. 90 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service