I found this on a web site and thought you guys would find it interesting. Also could you explain how this works in the context of gradualist evolution.

"The punctuated reality of the fossil record is best exemplified by the "Cambrian explosion." Virtually every animal phyla (including chordates and many phyla now extinct) appeared during the short geological moment called the Cambrian explosion (13). This period of time is now known to have covered a period of time of less than 10 million years (1415). The diversity of life and the variety of body designs has led Stephen Jay Gould to make the following statement:"

"We have reason to think that all major anatomical designs may have made their appearance at that time."16

Dr. Stephen Jay Gould

Views: 103

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Although some of these prophecies are vague and could have been deliberately fulfilled, many are very specific: 16. Place of birth (Micah 5:2). 17. Date of birth (Daniel 9:25). 18. Manner of birth (Isaiah 7:14). 62. Manner of death (Zechariah 12:10; Psalm 22:16 prophesied before the invention of crucifixion). 76. Piercing in side (Zechariah 12:10). 78. Burial (Isaiah 53:9).

The Bible made several prophecies of the complete destruction of cities. Many of the cities it said would be rebuilt and several it claimed would never be rebuilt - The Bible is 100% accurate in both categories as archeology shows. One amazing example is the city of Tyre. Ezekiel 26:3-5,7,12,14 and 16 (17) predict:

Nebuchadnezzar will take the city.
Other nations will participate in the fulfillment.
The city is to be made flat like the top of a rock.
It is to become a place for spreading nets.
Its stones and timber are to be laid in the sea.
The old city of Tyre will never be rebuilt.
Where could I be born that he isn't worshiped? The only arguable answer is Saudi Arabia

Really? That's what you know about religions? As I've said before, there are literary tens of thousand of gods. I honestly don't know how to further respond to this without insulting your intelligence, so I won't.

Both of these are impossible something does not come from nothing and the earth is finite and could not exist forever because in order for that to be the case everything we know about the earth is wrong such as age and whatnot.

First of all, a god is something, so how does a god exist?
Secondly, do you really think you can certainly say that something doesn't come from nothing? The best you can say is that you can't imagine such a thing happening, but it is theoretically possible.
About the Earth comment, I don't know how to respond... again. Why do you have the feeling I was talking about Earth for goodness sake? Did you read my entire post? Maybe you have skipped what followed after P.S..

The idea behind a Creator is that it was not created and it has always existed. The question who created God? is a fallacy since God cannot be created. He is immaterial omnipresent and not bound by time

Can't you see that this is exactly the point I was making, just that I wasn't talking about God, but about the world (which, by the way, is more probable to exist than the god you believe in). Just as it is possible that something (God) can exist without being created, it is certainly possible that something else (the world) can exist without being created. The fact that you can't imagine the world existing in such a manner doesn't mean it is impossible.
Where could I be born that he isn't worshiped? The only arguable answer is Saudi Arabia

Somebody, please tell me this level of idiocy is not normal. There are other areas of worship besides THE God and besides Christianity.

The question who created God? is a fallacy since God cannot be created. He is immaterial omnipresent and not bound by time

If it's easy to accept that a god can exist for all time and outside the bounds of time, then why is it hard to accept that the mechanisms for creating universe have always existed for all time? And really, the concept of "endless time" is meaningless just as the concept of infinity is meaningless. In order for time to exist, you need matter and space, and space is not just an empty vacuum, it has properties. So given this, the concept of worshiping something "immaterial" is meaningless as well. If "God" existed outside the bounds of time, then it's just as easy to say that he sat around for all infinity twiddling his thumbs before creating the world. Because we have no measurement of time to determine how long god waited before creating the universe, then God never got around to creating the world, which is just a gibberish solution. On the other hand, it's far easier to assume that the universe "just formed" because the concept of time before the Big Bang holds no meaning for us unless one wants to explore the concept of other universes that existed before this one.
"Really? That's what you know about religions? As I've said before, there are literary tens of thousand of gods. I honestly don't know how to further respond to this without insulting your intelligence, so I won't."
Christianity is in every Country including North Korea the only country that I am not sure about is Saudi Arabia

"First of all, a god is something, so how does a god exist?"
Not being made of matter space and time it is feasible that God could always exist. That is the something which all things come from. Before time and the universe existed He just was.
"Secondly, do you really think you can certainly say that something doesn't come from nothing? The best you can say is that you can't imagine such a thing happening, but it is theoretically possible.
About the Earth comment, I don't know how to respond... again. Why do you have the feeling I was talking about Earth for goodness sake? Did you read my entire post? Maybe you have skipped what followed after P.S.."
I did skip over your P.S. because I am quite honestly getting sick of responding in detail to posts on this web site and having them skipped over or not responded to.(has happened alot) The Universe cannot be eternal or infinite becuase it is made up of finite things. You cannot have an infinte amount of finite things, do I need to prove this to you?
There is plenty of evidence in the likelihood of prophecy coming true in the Bible that points to something supernatural. Since the Bible predicts the future and talks about God I am inclined to believe what is says to be true about God
Wow!

Firstly, most people on this planet are NOT Christians. There are only about 2 billion Christians spread around on different denominations. That means you had a chance of 2/7 to be born in a predominantly Christian society.

Secondly, this god you're talking about is made up of something because he can think and do certain stuff. You think he's an intelligent being. How come that he exists in this intelligent being form?

Furthermore, you continue to amaze me with your infatuation of knowing (even assuming would have been awful) what is possible and what is not, especially regarding the world and it's finitude and genesis.

Anyway, the "evidence" for Bible prophecies revealed the fact that you are not here to talk about reasonable and scientific facts. What about those who believe the Quran has a one hundred percent accuracy in its predictions? What about those who think the Mayans, or Nostradamus, have a perfect accuracy in their predictions? Do you really think they are all wrong, but you're right with this non-sense.

Maybe that's why people don't respond to your comments as much as you'd like to. Perhaps it's your irrationality that drives people away, because I don't think I will contiune discussing with a person that brings the kind of arguments you do to the table, a person that knows things others are struggling to even imagine, either.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but you, my friend, are not thinking logically when you contemplate religion (well, your religion), rather you're making assumptions based on emotions. Thinking that every other religion, cult or myth is plain wrong, but that you religious cult based on myths is not is, some would say, wishfull thinking at its best.
David
You cannot apply science to the supernatural. It is simply pointless since the supernatural is not testable.

I do not know why anybody is even debating you. You clearly know you are wrong and yet you continue to argue for your bible.

I suspect you are a High scoring RWA as described in Bob Altemeyer's research. Basically your brain is so compartmentalized you can store conflicting data and never feel the slightest bit disturbed by it.

I aways wondered about the intelligence of people such as you. Have you ever taken an IQ test and if so what was the score?
"Firstly, most people on this planet are NOT Christians. There are only about 2 billion Christians spread around on different denominations. That means you had a chance of 2/7 to be born in a predominantly Christian society."
No matter where I will be born the society will not be predominantly Christian at least according the biblical standards for a Christian, including america. So you commented on the fact that my god is worshiped in America and I said he is worshiped in every country. BTW I disagree with the number of 2 billion, maybe half a million but that is a liberal estimate

//Anyway, the "evidence" for Bible prophecies revealed the fact that you are not here to talk about reasonable and scientific facts. What about those who believe the Quran has a one hundred percent accuracy in its predictions? What about those who think the Mayans, or Nostradamus, have a perfect accuracy in their predictions? Do you really think they are all wrong, but you're right with this non-sense.//
read this article, does the Qu'ran have archaeological evidence supporting it? The Qu'ran has no prophecy that is fulfilled since it was written by one man in a cave in his lifetime. Does Rasputin predict the day when cities will be destroyed?
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/bibletru.html#lkdXJTJwLLMV
"Other Jewish rabbinical writings, including Rabbi Eliezer and writers of the Talmud, talk about Jesus and his miracles. Surprisingly to many atheists, they never denied that miracles took place, but attempted to explain them as a result of evil (9). More information about Jesus in the Talmud can be found at Jesus Christ In The Talmud."
Well, of course the predictions in the Qu'ran are false, just as those in the Bible are. Anyway, just the fact that you believe such an incredibly and utterly mind-numbing thing makes me bow my head in surrender, because I can't waste my time on somebody like you.

Just as I am not advocating for evolution, climate change, the heliocentric theory or the existence of atoms, I am not advocating for real archeology with real evidence. I am nobody's professor, especially for people that don't have the capabilities to distinguish between evidence and a guy swearing that what he says is true, even if I could scientifically demolish your belief that the Bible is accurate. If you were really interested in scientific evidence, you wouldn't have believed what you're claiming anymore and that's the main reason I think you will not be persuaded by any scientific evidence that goes against your belief, so I shall not bother to provide you with such evidence.

This mentality, that you can contradict scientific discoveries, when you don't have the proper training and that you can fill the gaps with whatever nut-case explanation you think is right, is a disgrace to the human mind capabilities, which have been proven so many times by extraordinary people who, with every ounce of humility possible, have tried to find objective pieces of truth as best as they could.

You, being in the half a million true Christians that you've mentioned, have, in my view, probably a below-average IQ. If that is true, than I want you to know that there are people with such high IQ that you are, regarding intelligence, closer to chimpanzees than these geniuses. I don't think these people can know the kind of things you claim to know either, but, as Asimov once said, thinking the Earth is flat and thinking it is spherical are both wrong, but thinking that they are equally wrong is wronger then these two thoughts combined.

Fortunately, as you've said, most Christians (and other religious people alike) aren't exactly blind followers as you are. Religion will always exist, but, hopefully, some day it will only exist in history books because that's the only place it truly fits. Beliefs in supernatural are losing ground at exponential rates and, guess what? It's not because the Rapture, or the Armagheddon, is imminent, but because they can no longer reconcile with science and reason.

On this note, I feel compelled to interrupt this conversation, because it makes me feel ashamed, not because I'm related to monkeys (that make me feel a sense of awe, really), but because I belong to this particularly arrogant species which, in its majority, has lost the ability to simply not know certain things.
I can tell you didnt look at the page which backs up the Bible scientifically but you dont really care about the evidence for the Bible because you suppose its wrong so why look into the evidence behind it because what you know to be true based on what the so called unbiased experts have said (logical fallacy of appeal to authority) And for the record my IQ is 135. I dare you to read everything on this link instead of dismissing it and insulting me so arrogantly http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/bibletru.html#qCVntOEmfzfy
And for the record my IQ is 135.

I know I said I would end my part in this conversation but this is too funny, or sad if it's true, to be ignored. I seriously doubt that you have an IQ of 135 because of your illogical connections and, let's not keep it under the mat anymore, your spelling, taking into consideration the fact that you're an American, living in USA. I'm Romanian and I've only been in Bulgaria and Turkey outside my country, but, as modest as I can be, I think I spell English better than you. Yeah, yeah, I know. You don't care if you spell words right or not.

Of course, this doesn't mean you can't really have an IQ of 135, but this would be incredibly sad, because that would mean you have been seriously brainwashed and that you use this brain power in weird and irrational ways.

Oh, and FYI, what the site you've mentioned does is far... really far from providing any sort of evidence.

I regret I have to say this, but I sincerely hope you won't have kids and you won't raise or teach kids in your lifetime, because, if there is something I really care about, it's the welfare of children and I think you would simply destroy their chances of having a healthy mental state.
If your IQ is really 135 why on earth don't you use the brain you were born with?
UNLESS.. You know there is no truth in it. But you also are smart enough to know that if you can get enough people to believe it then you can get DONATIONS.

Or you lied about your IQ or you took a false test or you have delusional disorder.

If its not any of those then what that then what?

If its really faith why bother with scientific arguments. Your faith should be more than enough.

Help me out here I am really trying to understand what makes you believe?

Incidentally Do you feel homosexuality is as great a sin as adultery?
//And for the record my IQ is 135.

I know I said I would end my part in this conversation but this is too funny, or sad if it's true, to be ignored. I seriously doubt that you have an IQ of 135 because of your illogical connections and, let's not keep it under the mat anymore, your spelling, taking into consideration the fact that you're an American, living in USA. I'm Romanian and I've only been in Bulgaria and Turkey outside my country, but, as modest as I can be, I think I spell English better than you. Yeah, yeah, I know. You don't care if you spell words right or not.//
How are my connections illogical. have I been poisoning the well, you have. Have I been asking for evidence and then ignoring it you have. Have I been assuming conditions about your environment because you have been doing that about mine i.e. that I grew up in A Christian home I am being brainwashed and that I am an American. Have I said that because that people in authority claim something to be true. " to support it, but there is this guy who received the Nobel Prize for its discovery a couple of years ago." HAve I committed the logical fallacy of the appeal to authority. No I havent but you have dont all these things. But I am the one who is blind and dumb
//Of course, this doesn't mean you can't really have an IQ of 135, but this would be incredibly sad, because that would mean you have been seriously brainwashed and that you use this brain power in weird and irrational ways.//
Poisoning the Well, a logical fallacy

//Oh, and FYI, what the site you've mentioned does is far... really far from providing any sort of evidence.//
really how so what do you need as evidence what would it take to convince you that God exists

//I regret I have to say this, but I sincerely hope you won't have kids and you won't raise or teach kids in your lifetime, because, if there is something I really care about, it's the welfare of children and I think you would simply destroy their chances of having a healthy mental state.//
I will pray for you

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service