I found this on a web site and thought you guys would find it interesting. Also could you explain how this works in the context of gradualist evolution.

"The punctuated reality of the fossil record is best exemplified by the "Cambrian explosion." Virtually every animal phyla (including chordates and many phyla now extinct) appeared during the short geological moment called the Cambrian explosion (13). This period of time is now known to have covered a period of time of less than 10 million years (1415). The diversity of life and the variety of body designs has led Stephen Jay Gould to make the following statement:"

"We have reason to think that all major anatomical designs may have made their appearance at that time."16

Dr. Stephen Jay Gould

Views: 175

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where could I be born that he isn't worshiped? The only arguable answer is Saudi Arabia

Somebody, please tell me this level of idiocy is not normal. There are other areas of worship besides THE God and besides Christianity.

The question who created God? is a fallacy since God cannot be created. He is immaterial omnipresent and not bound by time

If it's easy to accept that a god can exist for all time and outside the bounds of time, then why is it hard to accept that the mechanisms for creating universe have always existed for all time? And really, the concept of "endless time" is meaningless just as the concept of infinity is meaningless. In order for time to exist, you need matter and space, and space is not just an empty vacuum, it has properties. So given this, the concept of worshiping something "immaterial" is meaningless as well. If "God" existed outside the bounds of time, then it's just as easy to say that he sat around for all infinity twiddling his thumbs before creating the world. Because we have no measurement of time to determine how long god waited before creating the universe, then God never got around to creating the world, which is just a gibberish solution. On the other hand, it's far easier to assume that the universe "just formed" because the concept of time before the Big Bang holds no meaning for us unless one wants to explore the concept of other universes that existed before this one.
"Really? That's what you know about religions? As I've said before, there are literary tens of thousand of gods. I honestly don't know how to further respond to this without insulting your intelligence, so I won't."
Christianity is in every Country including North Korea the only country that I am not sure about is Saudi Arabia

"First of all, a god is something, so how does a god exist?"
Not being made of matter space and time it is feasible that God could always exist. That is the something which all things come from. Before time and the universe existed He just was.
"Secondly, do you really think you can certainly say that something doesn't come from nothing? The best you can say is that you can't imagine such a thing happening, but it is theoretically possible.
About the Earth comment, I don't know how to respond... again. Why do you have the feeling I was talking about Earth for goodness sake? Did you read my entire post? Maybe you have skipped what followed after P.S.."
I did skip over your P.S. because I am quite honestly getting sick of responding in detail to posts on this web site and having them skipped over or not responded to.(has happened alot) The Universe cannot be eternal or infinite becuase it is made up of finite things. You cannot have an infinte amount of finite things, do I need to prove this to you?
There is plenty of evidence in the likelihood of prophecy coming true in the Bible that points to something supernatural. Since the Bible predicts the future and talks about God I am inclined to believe what is says to be true about God
David
You cannot apply science to the supernatural. It is simply pointless since the supernatural is not testable.

I do not know why anybody is even debating you. You clearly know you are wrong and yet you continue to argue for your bible.

I suspect you are a High scoring RWA as described in Bob Altemeyer's research. Basically your brain is so compartmentalized you can store conflicting data and never feel the slightest bit disturbed by it.

I aways wondered about the intelligence of people such as you. Have you ever taken an IQ test and if so what was the score?
"Firstly, most people on this planet are NOT Christians. There are only about 2 billion Christians spread around on different denominations. That means you had a chance of 2/7 to be born in a predominantly Christian society."
No matter where I will be born the society will not be predominantly Christian at least according the biblical standards for a Christian, including america. So you commented on the fact that my god is worshiped in America and I said he is worshiped in every country. BTW I disagree with the number of 2 billion, maybe half a million but that is a liberal estimate

//Anyway, the "evidence" for Bible prophecies revealed the fact that you are not here to talk about reasonable and scientific facts. What about those who believe the Quran has a one hundred percent accuracy in its predictions? What about those who think the Mayans, or Nostradamus, have a perfect accuracy in their predictions? Do you really think they are all wrong, but you're right with this non-sense.//
read this article, does the Qu'ran have archaeological evidence supporting it? The Qu'ran has no prophecy that is fulfilled since it was written by one man in a cave in his lifetime. Does Rasputin predict the day when cities will be destroyed?
http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/bibletru.html#lkdXJTJwLLMV
"Other Jewish rabbinical writings, including Rabbi Eliezer and writers of the Talmud, talk about Jesus and his miracles. Surprisingly to many atheists, they never denied that miracles took place, but attempted to explain them as a result of evil (9). More information about Jesus in the Talmud can be found at Jesus Christ In The Talmud."
I can tell you didnt look at the page which backs up the Bible scientifically but you dont really care about the evidence for the Bible because you suppose its wrong so why look into the evidence behind it because what you know to be true based on what the so called unbiased experts have said (logical fallacy of appeal to authority) And for the record my IQ is 135. I dare you to read everything on this link instead of dismissing it and insulting me so arrogantly http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/bibletru.html#qCVntOEmfzfy
If your IQ is really 135 why on earth don't you use the brain you were born with?
UNLESS.. You know there is no truth in it. But you also are smart enough to know that if you can get enough people to believe it then you can get DONATIONS.

Or you lied about your IQ or you took a false test or you have delusional disorder.

If its not any of those then what that then what?

If its really faith why bother with scientific arguments. Your faith should be more than enough.

Help me out here I am really trying to understand what makes you believe?

Incidentally Do you feel homosexuality is as great a sin as adultery?
//And for the record my IQ is 135.

I know I said I would end my part in this conversation but this is too funny, or sad if it's true, to be ignored. I seriously doubt that you have an IQ of 135 because of your illogical connections and, let's not keep it under the mat anymore, your spelling, taking into consideration the fact that you're an American, living in USA. I'm Romanian and I've only been in Bulgaria and Turkey outside my country, but, as modest as I can be, I think I spell English better than you. Yeah, yeah, I know. You don't care if you spell words right or not.//
How are my connections illogical. have I been poisoning the well, you have. Have I been asking for evidence and then ignoring it you have. Have I been assuming conditions about your environment because you have been doing that about mine i.e. that I grew up in A Christian home I am being brainwashed and that I am an American. Have I said that because that people in authority claim something to be true. " to support it, but there is this guy who received the Nobel Prize for its discovery a couple of years ago." HAve I committed the logical fallacy of the appeal to authority. No I havent but you have dont all these things. But I am the one who is blind and dumb
//Of course, this doesn't mean you can't really have an IQ of 135, but this would be incredibly sad, because that would mean you have been seriously brainwashed and that you use this brain power in weird and irrational ways.//
Poisoning the Well, a logical fallacy

//Oh, and FYI, what the site you've mentioned does is far... really far from providing any sort of evidence.//
really how so what do you need as evidence what would it take to convince you that God exists

//I regret I have to say this, but I sincerely hope you won't have kids and you won't raise or teach kids in your lifetime, because, if there is something I really care about, it's the welfare of children and I think you would simply destroy their chances of having a healthy mental state.//
I will pray for you
IQ of 135 but a Bible literalist, creationist, and incapable of basic grammatical structure?

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

really how so what do you need as evidence what would it take to convince you that God exists

No such evidence exists. Therefore, in all likelihood, the existence of any gods, let alone THE God, is highly improbable.
//As for what would convince me that the god you're talking about is real, it's quite simple really and it's the same thing for all of the other gods: scientific evidence. Now, please don't post another link of a Christian site that claims stuff without providing evidence, because this wouldn't provide evidence (obviously).//
So a specific prophesy coming true is not evidence? What is evidence then
//The genealogy also shows that Jesus was a descendent of Ammon as well as showing that God was a lazy writer. Question David - do you remember Ammon when reading about Jesus//
Show that Jesus was related to Ammon using the Bible. That does not prove that God was a lazy writer you completely ignored my response and said the same thing.
You: God is a lazy writer
Me: No God understood the practical needs of man and how it would be ridiculous to have a complete genealogy not to mention it was customary to skip less famous people in genealogies in Hebrew Genealogies. It showed what it needed to.
You: God is a lazy writer
Thanks for being specific. I like.
Let's tackle the Length of Days and how that would play out. First off, they have numbers that contradict the Bible. Day three we have plants being created The number provided shows 900 mya. Day five according to the Bible shows the birds being created. The math here shows that being as far back as 1.4 bya. So we have a cross over here where day five happened before day three? (I assume that we are off by a zero on the math?)

The way the Bible reads is that the plants are created on day three. Birds are created on Day 5. If a day isn't a day but rather millions of years, then there are a lot of plants that we won't be able to account for in how they spread their seeds. There are plants that require animals to eat them for their seeds to be spread in fecal matter. You can't create plants as is and have them survive millions of years.

Archaeopteryx is 150 myo and certainly he wasn't spreading the seeds on deep fluted plants. So here's what you'd have to show. God evolved the plants and animals together. If a designer had a direction why have 98% of all species died out? Is he just a random artist? Ken Miller doesn't agree and thinks that any designer would have to be a deceptive one. video

"ID is independent of religion except a minimal requirement of deism" So you can't have God guided Evolution with Deism. By definition, God doesn't influence the world anymore in Deism. This would include the writing of the Bible. If you were to believe in a Deist god then you certainly don't believe in the Christian God who interferes regularly according to the Bible. The Discovery Institute is "Agnostic" as to the nature of God. Why do you try to mix the two? You are citing both Christian claims and ID while claiming ID is minimally Deist. You see no conflict here?

While the Old Testament isn't clear as to the length of days, it is clear as to Geneaology. Ussher is often credited with coming up with the age of the earth according to the Bible so I wouldn't call 350 years or so a new idea. These dates and time frames are no more well thought out than prophecies written after the prophet is already dead. Science shows the evidence, then religionists move in an attempt to match the science. Genesis would reveal nothing without science. I reject the latant reinterpretation as much as I would reject Nostradamus knew the future.
//"ID is independent of religion except a minimal requirement of deism" So you can't have God guided Evolution with Deism. By definition, God doesn't influence the world anymore in Deism. This would include the writing of the Bible. If you were to believe in a Deist god then you certainly don't believe in the Christian God who interferes regularly according to the Bible. The Discovery Institute is "Agnostic" as to the nature of God. Why do you try to mix the two? You are citing both Christian claims and ID while claiming ID is minimally Deist. You see no conflict here?//
Deism simply refers to a supreme architect which description would fit ID. I am not a deist but believing in intelligent design only requires that you be a deist I am a Christian who believes the God of the Bible designed the earth intelligently i.e intelligent design. there is no conflict of beliefs

//While the Old Testament isn't clear as to the length of days, it is clear as to Geneaology. Ussher is often credited with coming up with the age of the earth according to the Bible so I wouldn't call 350 years or so a new idea. These dates and time frames are no more well thought out than prophecies written after the prophet is already dead. Science shows the evidence, then religionists move in an attempt to match the science. Genesis would reveal nothing without science. I reject the latant reinterpretation as much as I would reject Nostradamus knew the future.//
The Genealogies actually reveal nothing about the age of the earth because none of them are complete it is tradition to skip people in genealogies . Christianity is self correcting in its interpretations

RSS

© 2016   Created by umar.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service