I am an atheist however I have found much inspiration in the basic text of Buddhism and find it interesting that as a religion it is fairly well oriented as an atheistic belief system. I just wonder how many people look at Buddhism and feel the same

Tags: Buddhism, Buddhist

Views: 942

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I have done this before and usually I am simply ignored which makes no difference to me." - sfw?  "The journey continues... " 

@Ed - The sitting in a cave for eight years would be my downfall - they also have hungry ghosts. Masturbation is a no,no - not being married - they also, along with a lot of other religions, have a problem with sex - and there is pedophilia in their ranks, the same reason as for catholics, parents giving their boys to the monastery.

No masturbation? I'm out!

@ Suzanne Olson-Hyde;

"...they also...have a problem with sex..."

Me too, not nearly enough...LOL

I am an atheist, non-religious, and not prone to superstitions and related rituals. While Buddhism lacks an actual god, the forms that I have encountered in my travels here in Asia (currently Vietnam), do focus a great amount of attention on religious superstitions, magical rituals, and the idea that the individual influences some grand magical powers in the universe (a "god" force) by performing such prescribed rituals. Magical and highly subjective thinking and related behavioral patterns seem to be an integral part of the Vietnamese daily experience. Just as with any other thought system, I can certainly take what I can constructively use from Buddhism, but in my opinion, a lot has to be pared away from Buddhism as a whole in order to still say that one is atheist. Therin lies the rub of the word "atheist" or labeling oneself as such: the reality of the meaning of word "god" isn't as narrow as many imagine it to be. For my own part, the closest that I come to any sort of belief in god are the forces of nature, which is not what most modern people mean in reference to god(s). Nature and science are the mysterious forces of power that guide and excite me, and through experience and reflection are the catalysts of the sentient life energy within this mortal shell.

@ Vanessa Corey;

Nicely put.

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Gregg R Thomas 24 minutes ago. 112 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Mathews 53 minutes ago. 6 Replies

Great retorts

Started by Unseen in Quotes. Last reply by Wesley 6 hours ago. 13 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Physeter 10 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Finally, a cool billboard in Arkansas!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 8:21am 2 Comments

Atheist Sites

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service