Buddhism is a philosophy.   Buddhism can be practiced by anyone of any religion, Agnostic,  Atheist, etc.

The following are the words and teachings of the Buddha --- anything else should be considered suspect.

Essentials of Buddhism

Four Noble Truths

1. Suffering exists
   2. Suffering arises from attachment to desires
   3. Suffering ceases when attachment to desire ceases
   4. Freedom from suffering is possible by practicing the Eightfold Path 

Noble Eightfold Path

Three Qualities  Eightfold Path
 Wisdom (panna)  Right View
   Right Thought
 Morality (sila)  Right Speech
   Right Action
   Right Livelihood
 Meditation (samadhi)  Right Effort
   Right Mindfulness
   Right Contemplation

Views: 681

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well......Mike......I realise that......I should have been using double ellipses. I am......sincerely sorry......for the confusion.

Burma Shave!

May I applaud you on your wordiness --- lacks maturity and more study, but your zeal is to be commended

No. Bhudda did...in his own words...make claims of a supernatural nature and some of his claims are vaguely defined, untestable and/or unfalsifiable.

Logical positivism didn't exist until the 1920's so I think we can forgive Gautama for not satisfying LP's standards.

I think you may be missing the point of this post, or if not the point, what you could be taking away from it, which is that there is a lot that makes sense in Buddhism. The rest you can leave behind.

I'm sure you are correct.

Whether or not Davis is right about how much the Buddha said, the summary given here cannot be complete guide to how to live life.  It doesn't define "Right", which would be a value judgement.

Yes...thanks Steve. I was hoping someone would point out how totally inadequate it is. And...I can promise you that this is an outrageously gross oversimplification of Bhuddist narrative...times infinity and smoking crack and hashish at the same time...while snacking on space cacke.

This, to me, is all just a common case of people thinking that their "religion" is what they think it SHOULD be.

This is why the bible thumpers never seem to have read all of what they thump, etc.

They read the parts that resonated, ignored the parts that didn't, and assumed the religion was what they were left with.

Most people create their own boutique religion essentially...as a way of "believing" in the religion they feel they need to believe in.

...boutique religion...

Yes. In the end that's what it is on the Eastern camp. A boutique or even a department store with a selection of boutiques.

At least they rarely quote their texts to justify and spread hate. I feel sorry for all supernatural-woo-believers though while the followers of Western sky god poison and destruction makes me cringe...the Eastern boutique religion side side just makes me roll my eyes. Hinduism...the ultimate supermarket religion...leaves me scratching my head and going ¿an elephant did what?

...as a way of "believing" in the religion they feel they need to believe in...

Seems universal amongst the laymen of all religions though I can excuse Bhuddists on this one...if they read 10 pages a day of the cannons they would finish it as old men/women on their death beds.

Muslims, Christians and Jews have no excuse...especially the douche bags who quote parts of a book they haven't completely read to tell you why you are sinful scum.

...ignored the parts that didn't...

Or far worse...explain it all away through some arbitrary "context" they've imposed on the original and often unambiguous text. Again...Bhuddists are rarely guilty of inventing contexts.

What I dislike most about Buddhism is something that is very similar to Christianity. It suggests that the purpose of life is to better oneself, to move from a default state of unworthiness to a higher state. Christians believe they are born in a state of sin and with Buddhists even birth is suffering. It sets out a “middle path” about how to think, speak and act the “right way”.  Any philosophy that claims to be the (noble) Truth and looks for followers is a religion.

I suppose monks (or even nuns) do reach a point where their “suffering” ends and they find peace. This is because they escape from the real world and live in a retreat of some kind. If I lived in a mountain top monastery where all my needs were catered for, I would soon be free from suffering. Meditating to the point of not thinking anything is escapism.

If I am to be re-incarnated can I come back as a ladies field hockey pitch on a wet Sunday please.

I never thought of the Buddha's message in that context --- My understanding was the enlightenment necessary to live this life to it's fullest without pain and suffering.   I can see your suggestion of "change" as a manner and way of interpretation. 

I never thought of it that way. Brilliant Humanist analysis Reg!!!

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service