That's right. Tell all what you are REALLY good at. Whether it's graduating from Harvard, or being the record holder for surviving the most keg stands in your sorority without going to the hospital, knitting mittens, or blow torching hemp yarn into heirloom keep sakes, starting your own business, to using a nail gun to recreate the Mona Lisa.........

Tell us your best qualities, most intruguing talents (video is even better if you are so bold.)

Think of this as the Think Atheist talent show.

Who's first? Don't everyone volunteer at once!

Views: 1537

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I use this stuff called sculpey, it is just like clay except for two things.

1. You can not eat, or drink off of it or smoke out of it.

2. Instead of a superheated, gas fired kiln (like for ceramic clay) is can be solidified at a low temp in the oven. Like 250 degrees.

So it's only really suited for art and design use, not so much the making of practical items. I have spent a lot of time with ceramic clay though, I can use a pottery wheel and make cups and plates. I work the sculpey with the same set of tools that I used for clay. They make colored sculpey but I use plain white then paint it my self with acrylic paint. It pretty cheap to, I get 1.75 lbs of it for about 10-12 bucks from amazon, or from the local craft store.

Here are my sculpting tools. You could pick a set up for pretty darn cheap.

I am a great story teller and writer. I actually write scripts.

But the thing I feel I am best at is playing Devil's Advocate. I never try to do it, but no matter if I agree with something or not, I cannot help but see the other side and point out all the problems. I feel that more people who want to talk about atheism with theists could really benefit from having a Devil's Advocate as part of their close circle of friends.

I am hoping that I can come up with a solid story about an atheist protagonist and put out something that gives us a movie champion. If anyone has any ideas.... I'm listening.

At the very least, I hope in the next few years to produce a documentary about the state of religion and atheism in America. I just haven't seen one that I felt was actually fair. They all seem to have one of two points: Either all the Atheists are nut jobs who hate God and religion is the only thing that can save us OR all the religious people are sick bigots who want to turn the country into a giant church with morality police roaming the streets. I exaggerate a bit here, but you know the offerings are not far off from these. I'd like to do one with a more balanced approach and hopefully one that will give enough views of the pros and cons of BOTH SIDES (and we know there are asshole and decent people on both sides) and let people just make a decision on facts instead of emotion.

Maybe it's just a pipe dream, but the pipe is big enough for all of us.

Hey Ray K.

Regarding "I am hoping that I can come up with a solid story about an atheist protagonist and put out something that gives us a movie champion. If anyone has any ideas.... I'm listening."

I'd love to share some ideas with you, sent you a friend request.

I helped a young autistic girl change her life around. I feel like that is something worth sharing. Otherwise everything else is quite ordinary.

I Au paired for a family of a little 9 year old mildly autistic girl for the past 2 years and I have seen a vast improvement with her and I feel that at least some of that had to do with me. Her previous Au pair was cruel to her and only ever criticized her homework and whatever she tried, her mom was also quite harsh with her expecting the harshness to spur her towards trying harder but it did the exact opposite. When I started working with her she had zero self confidence to the point where she wouldn't read at all for fear of making a mistake and getting criticized for it. She would not try anything new and she believed that she could do nothing. She couldn't concentrate for longer than 10-20 minutes at a time. Two years later, she can read freely without fear of mistakes because she knows that mistakes are part of learning. She's joined gymnastics and horse riding (out of her own choice) and is focusing on the fun instead of being good at it or getting it all right. She can concentrate for about 30-45 minutes at a time now. She's made a few friends which she struggled with before. She walks around with a constant smile on her face and a giggle when she sees her loved ones (she rarely smiled before and was nervous to approach anyone, including her loved ones).

That is my one big accomplishment and it makes me happy to know that one persons life has changed partly because of me! Yay!

That's a wonderful story and a great accomplishment Teri.  The fact that you lived there for 2 years meant that you've had the time to make a big difference. 

I didn't live with the family, I just worked for them in the afternoons on weekdays :)

I stopped working for them a week ago and unfortunately I don't think I will be seeing them very often.

Autistic children are often underestimated in their abilities and how much they can communicate.  It can lead them to feel cut off and profoundly depressed.  That little girl must really love you.  "She walks around with a constant smile on her face and a giggle when she sees her loved ones (she rarely smiled before and was nervous to approach anyone, including her loved ones)." - this says it all. 

Amazing. You might have given her a radically different life. I hope so! Definittely something to brag about!

I am Yahweh. 

hmm 

RSS

Forum

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Physeter 22 minutes ago. 13 Replies

The Doctor and the Farmer

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Religion and the Religious, Atheism and Atheists. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 4 hours ago. 11 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Emperor Milos 9 hours ago. 77 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 13 hours ago. 8 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 23 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service