Bow Your Head? Close Your Eyes? How to act when saying grace 101.

My guess is that this has been covered in another forum but I wanted to throw it out there;

So who among us has been the following situation: You are sitting at a friends or even a family's dinner table and everyone gets ready to say grace. Everyone bows their heads and or closes their eyes.  What do you do?  Do you close your eyes and or bow your head out of respect and think to yourself "omg this is such bs", or do you hold your atheist head up high with a kind of "suck-it" mentality I am not going to coddle you just because you expect me to, I'm an atheist dammit and proud of it!!! 

Would love to hear your thoughts and stories!!

Views: 794

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ah, prayer time.  I'll join hands if I'm at the table, simply to not be rude (like "ew, I don't wanna touch you!" lol), but I do not bow my head nor close my eyes, nor say amen, nor any other silly damn thing.  I'm not the least bit worried about it causing a problem because if they can fucking see me not praying, then their eyes were open too!
Totally do the whole shebang. My dad's family is the only one who prays. I think it's funny that I know the entire "Lord's Prayer" so I totally do the whole thing. (father, son, holy spirit and all) (on that subject I am slightly confused, why touch your chest 4 times in the shape of a triangle when there are only 3 names (for the same person)??)
I do lower my head, but do not close my eyes or fold my hands.  I do this out of respect for the people I care about.  Lowering my head doesn't indicate I'm taking part in the prayer, to me it amounts to being the same thing as observing a moment of silence. 

Personally, I just sit there quietly until they are done. I don't make a big deal, and I don't try and join in. I am respectful of their preference as long as they are respectful of mine. I did have to politely decline going to church services beforehand though.

You are a man after my own heart.
Hear! Hear!! Well spoken.
lol "My turkey is getting cold." This man has his priorities in order.
Great topic. I am absolutely adamant about furthering science and reason, but in situations like this I'm more than willing to hold hands and indulge in the ritual. I generally don't close my eyes, or bow my head, but I do look around and appreciate the love and unabashed feelings that a family can have for one another. I suppose I view the moment like I view Christmas, a simple time to appreciate your friends and loved ones.

When people say "Okay everybody, lets say grace." All I say is "grace" then I start eating. I do that sometimes when I'm with people I'm comfortable with, but other times I just sit normally and wait for everyone else to get done.

Depends on the situation. At best I will be quiet, if its a family who's table I am sitting at. If its my table, I will say "oh I don't mind if you talk to yourself" and keep eating, talking etc.

"Why are you bitches thanking god? I bought this food!"

"Hey, don't get your magic spells on my food!"

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 5 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service