I'm sure at this point most of you are aware of Romney's "binders full of women" comment in the second presidential debate. I'm actually a little surprised that this topic hasn't come up here yet.

I'm curious, what do you all think of this comment? Was it just a bad choice of words? Was it indicative of deeper feelings Romney has toward women? Was it indicative of something else? Is it even a comment worth discussing and/or making a big deal out of it? How do you personally feel about the comment? Do you think it will affect how anyone votes in November?

You could always google the phrase "Binders full of women" or here's a link for a little background info: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/oct/17/romney-binders-full-of-...

And here's a link for entertainment: http://bindersfullofwomen.tumblr.com/

Tags: Binders, Romney, Sexism, Women, debate, election, full, of, presidential, women

Views: 657

Replies to This Discussion

Ah tough to visually analyze because the scales are all different, but you can look at overall trends.  There are also some interesting analyses here - Truthful Politics.

Damn, who did this crapy stat. representation? Someone should look this up and rescale the data set!

This is even further off topic, archaeopteryx—and I know you didn't design the graphs—but I think when graphs are to be compared, all the graphs should use the same scale. Look, the bottom lines range from 3.5 to 7.5. If they all started at 0, one would have a picture that looked less extreme.

BTW, Clinton had the lowest unemployment rate at about 4. Reagan had the highest at about 11% according to the graphs.

I'm more concerned with how they ended their terms. Though I disliked Reagan personally, his 11% unemployment rate occurred early in his administration, and he got a handle on it. Obama inherited his from Bush II, and he's getting a handle on it.

And there's only so much Obama can do. Like he said in the second debate, "a lot of those (unskilled, low-level) jobs won't be coming back." We need an education and re-education program on a very large scale, making higher education cheaper, not more expensive every year the way it has been. We also need to decide what to do about people who aren't suited to those more skilled jobs. Will it become their "job" to be unemployed, perhaps earning money through public service?

I hate to admit this, but my first year of college, at a state institution, my hourly tuition rate was about twice the price one could make, working an hour at McDonalds' - work 32 hours for MickeyD, and your tuition was paid for the semester. Tuition at the SAME college, is now $208.75 per credit hour - wonder what that ratio is now?

But you're subscribing to the myth that this sort of thing (like gasoline prices) is in the hands of the President. The public believe it is, so both the incumbent and his opponent have to behave as though it is, but in fact these are markets (yes, jobs is a market) and are subject to market forces operating worldwide and not just within American borders. 

This is from Bush's last year, but it mentions Romney and it's funny, so what the hell --?

LOL

You must not be familiar with Lewis Black. He does almost nothing but angry rants. It's his "thing."

Lewis Black's rants are hilarious. Luckily, there are many to be found on Youtube.

Just follow this link.

Hey, remember that discussion topic someone posted some time back, where there was a video of a Black minister telling his congregation that women needed subjugation? Do you recall the name or who may have posted it? I need the video --

Jessica - this will give you a good introduction to Lewis Black, I think you'll like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HPQj5ITv...!

RSS

Discussion Forum

Do you let your guy cum inside you?

Started by Sophie. Last reply by James Cox Aug 28, 2013. 89 Replies

Domestic Violence Solutions...

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck May 12, 2013. 45 Replies

WHY must we wear a bra?

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by RockyShukura Apr 24, 2013. 57 Replies

Grow a Vagina!

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by Simon Paynton Mar 27, 2013. 24 Replies

Female and Atheist

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by Belle Rose Mar 19, 2013. 87 Replies

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service