Bill Nye "heartbroken and sickened": debate with Ken Ham helped fund Noah's ark construction

Creation Museum founder Ken Ham announced Thursday that a municipal bond offering has raised enough money to begin construction on his $73 million 'Ark Encounter' project. The replica of Noah's ark is expected to be finished by the summer of 2016.

Ham said a high-profile evolution debate he had with "Science Guy" Bill Nye earlier this month helped boost support for the project. Nye said he was "heartbroken and sickened for the Commonwealth of Kentucky" after learning that the project would move forward.
(source)

I suppose that underscores the reason why people like Richard Dawkins won't debate creationists.

Tags: Bill, Ham, Ken, Noah's, Nye, ark, creation, museum

Views: 647

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

From your link, a prediction that has come disastrously true:

"Note: As it says above, “The proceeds for these preorders of DVD’s [sic] and Digital Downloads will go to support Answers in Genesis. . . ”

In other words, Nye’s appearance will be giving money to organizations who try to subvert the mission Nye has had all his life: science education, particularly of kids.  And you know what? I don’t even care if Nye mops the floor with Ham. Though that would be great (especially because the DVD promises to be “uncensored”), it doesn’t justify Nye making money to further Ham’s program of lying about science.  That would be, to paraphrase a sign we always see in construction zones: “A temporary victory, a permanent defeat.”

Nye may be great at what he does, but in this case he made a severe misstep, and, at least in this case, he’s not very media-savvy.

It would seem to me that, if 'Ham' & crew were betting persons, would they not build the Ark to last for several years in preparation for global sea rise, and so be 'sea worthy'?

Since about everything they build is mostly 'plastic', I wonder how long the Ark will last with long term solar exposure?

I quess we will find out, in time, how they fair with packing 'two of each' on the mock Ark. Will they include animatronics? Will they buy up the 'Walking with Dinosaures' exhibit, so finish up their assertion that the dinosaures were not meat eaters?

Oh well....

It would seem to me that, if 'Ham' & crew were betting persons, would they not build the Ark to last for several years in preparation for global sea rise, and so be 'sea worthy'? Since about everything they build is mostly 'plastic', I wonder how long the Ark will last with long term solar exposure?

Ham claims they're building an ark that is "historically accurate" and "in accordance with sound established nautical engineering practices of the era" that will be "the largest timber-frame structure in the USA". I take to mean that the ark will be constructed to be seaworthy and made of gopher wood (whatever kind of wood that is).

I quess we will find out, in time, how they fair with packing 'two of each' on the mock Ark. Will they include animatronics? Will they buy up the 'Walking with Dinosaures' exhibit, so finish up their assertion that the dinosaures were not meat eaters?

I'll be mildly curious to see how they pack the ark, but not surprised or impressed when they lowball it. Ham has wheedled his way down from millions of species to as few as 16,000 animals in total.

And let's not forget land plants and almost all marine life that would have undoubtedly died of low salinity if the volume of sea water increased enough to cover the mountains from rainfall (I recall H20x8?)...

After all you know "species" isn't the correct term, it's "kind."

Apparently worms (5 full goddamnfucking phyla if I am not mistaken!) are one "kind" so Noah only needed to bring two worms onto the ark.  Maybe all he had to do was bring the tapeworms he had with him.

How does the rest of Kentucky feel about this misuse of their money?

Perhaps someone should go to this ark exhibit, count how many creatures they see, and then compile a list of every creature that still exists today, but is not present on the boat. This would be a good thesis project for someone. Count the creatures, contact Zoos and Wildlife refuges and inquire as to the habitat requirements for each creature, then compile the space required for the food, living space, the amount of wood it would require to build, and the estimated amount of man-hours such a structure would require, using only bronze age tools.

Then compile All of this information together into one great big leather bound volume, and throw it through Ken Ham's window!

I think the 'window' touch is a little much. Anyway he might install Lexan with a very small % of the money....

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Peter Mark Longdon 42 minutes ago. 8 Replies

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Rocky john 4 hours ago. 22 Replies

Marriage makes women fat?

Started by Logicallunatic in Small Talk. Last reply by Davis Goodman 7 hours ago. 10 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service