Bill Nye "heartbroken and sickened": debate with Ken Ham helped fund Noah's ark construction

Creation Museum founder Ken Ham announced Thursday that a municipal bond offering has raised enough money to begin construction on his $73 million 'Ark Encounter' project. The replica of Noah's ark is expected to be finished by the summer of 2016.

Ham said a high-profile evolution debate he had with "Science Guy" Bill Nye earlier this month helped boost support for the project. Nye said he was "heartbroken and sickened for the Commonwealth of Kentucky" after learning that the project would move forward.
(source)

I suppose that underscores the reason why people like Richard Dawkins won't debate creationists.

Tags: Bill, Ham, Ken, Noah's, Nye, ark, creation, museum

Views: 743

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can't say we didn't warn him.

I love how the community is more enthusiastic about building a fictitious story book boat than it is about spending that $73 million on people who could actually benefit from that money. The irony of the church's 'inherent goodness' is ever so obvious.

Now I'm curious to know exactly where all the income from this theme park is going to go. To help the needy? I doubt it.

Yes and according to fahe.org, Kentucky has the highest poverty rate in all the Appalachian regions @ 24.8%, and the state itself is at 18.1%. Their percentage isn't due to unemployment either, so the excuse that it will create jobs is not accurate. Their rate is due to low pay. I doubt the 73 million will go to higher salaries. There HAS TO BE a better use for this money.

Flushing it down the toilet would be a better use for this money.

The ink on the paper may or may not be toxic to the bacteria that do the dirty work in my septic tank.  So perhaps not.

Well, for that reason and that reason only :D

Good article but they called Ham's Ark a "replica". Well to have a replica, you need to have something to replicate - LOL!

I actually like the idea of a YEC theme park. Think of all the other whacko attractions that could pop up around there, making the area a kind of Mecca for westerners. A Disneyland of YEC vs science and reason. A kind of spiritual Las Vegas serving the Appalachian area. Palm readers, astrologists, snake charmers... woohoo!

Haha, thank you for that! Maybe it's just my mood today, but I can't visualize this Arc as anything worse than a scene of entertainment... a potentially cool dance nightclub, even. And the rainbow symbol at the end of the video strikes me as a kind of symbolism they didn't intend for it to have.

Odd. Why does he need $73 mil? If the story is true, shouldn't he be able to built it with nothing but his own tools and help of his family?

..and then i'd like to see Ham and family round up some cobras, lions, and gorillas.

I have to admit I couldn't actually watch the whole debate, as it was pitched at babies level. As an Australian, I am sorry that that Ken Ham launched his craziness on America though. 

RSS

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service