i'm NEW here so bare with me lol,

I was debating arguments on the bible and I pretty much covered everything, except about bible prophecy how do atheist comment on all the 'bible prophecy'?

Tags: bible, prophecy

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What is there to comment on ?

If you keep your claims vague enough they can apply to anything, you read this sort of stuff everyday in the newspaper under horoscopes.

Nostradamus was also very adept at it, if you predict future events and enough time passes you can get a positive result.

So just like horoscopes and Nostradamus and the bible prophecies it's best to take them for the nonsense that they are.

"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense. – Chapman Cohen"

It's a crock!

Hi Joshua,

This is very interesting topic to discuss! I'm always thinking about it..

I think the ambiguity of the human brain has attracted scientists to study the whole thing about.

I'm doing research now about this thing... but, the sources on this subject are very few..

I guess that there is a part of the human brain is responsible for predicting the future..

correct me if I'm wrong.

My friend told me that prophecies become true because people work for it... I agree with him.

not to forget > here is a good arguments about this topic on this link
This post is anecdotal to the grammar to religiosity link done by OKCupid, isn't it?

In my opinion, prophesies are all self-fulfilling.  If someone can't link a past event to a prophesy, they'll look in the present until they find something that matches.  For instance when you read the account of John the Baptist, the people are asking him if he is the mesiah.  Obviously they were looking for someone to tag in order to fulfill the prophesy and give them hope, something to rally around.  You see the same type of thing today with Nostradamus.  People make his garbled writings look coherant by applying past events and they even predict the future demise of the world.  Of course all those predictions have failed so far.  I think I've seen three generations of documentaries on it in my lifetime.

If you want me to believe a prophesy, make it very specific so I'll know exactly when it is fulfilled.  All the prophesies I've ever heard, in the bible or otherwise, are all vague and inconclusive.  That's the only way they work.

Just my opinion...

Why don't they make prophecies something you can check.  I prophesize that in April of 2011 there will be much more rain and less snow.  That is practically guarenteed. 
If anyone has a link to a site debunking Jehovah Witness prophecies, especially the Destruction of Babylon or Jerusalem I will buy them a beer. Thanks.
Co-sign ....... You will get a case of beer from me. lol

Didn't we have this discussion earlier?

Prophecies

And I repeat: bollocks.

I mean, this people were on some serious drugs, because there is no other scientific explenation why someone would write something like:

1 After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree. 2 Then I saw another angel coming up from the east, having the seal of the living God. He called out in a loud voice to the four angels who had been given power to harm the land and the sea: 3 “Do not harm the land or the sea or the trees until we put a seal on the foreheads of the servants of our God.” 4 Then I heard the number of those who were sealed: 144,000 from all the tribes of Israel.

So the 'angels' held the winds, what for? If it's an allegory, what does it say instead? If angels are word of god, wind is progress, and four side of the world is mankind, then what he says is that the progress of the mankind will be stopped by god's word. This sounds great!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Simon Paynton 14 minutes ago. 19 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.