So. My time has come to finally sit down and read the freaking bible. If I'm gonna argue against it, I should know what I'm talking about. It is also a part of western culture whether I like it or not.

There seem to be so many books that make up 'the bible' that I honestly don't know where to start. I've also read that there are several versions of these different books. So where do I start?

I have a Nook, and would really prefer to get digital versions of this thing. I figure Barnes and Noble has to have plenty of digital copies.

Does anyone have a 'favorite' version, book, section? I do realize I could Google this all myself, but that's no fun. I want real feedback before I dive into this. If one sucks less than another, I want to know.

Views: 1086

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's online
I think I might go buy that one. Thanks for the tip!
Hmm, I know it's probably the best book to read to lose your faith but I've never bought into the idea that "I should know what I am argueing against therefore I should read the bible" for the same reason I don't read Harry Potter books. Talking snakes, virgin births and resurrections were enough to make me laugh and that was when I was about seven.
I'm also reading it for the historical value. Same reason to read Romeo and Juliet, The Odessey, etc. It also always helps to have the same or more knowledge as the person with whom you are engaging in a conversation. If someone was having a heated discussion about Harry Potter, it most certainly would help to know what they were talking about. :)

I read the old testament in Hebrew, that's how it was written 'originally'. Of course that is a load of crap because I'm sure it was altered loads times. The whole bible, including the new testament I don't know, maybe the Kings James Version? I'm not sure which one I read. I don't think you could go wrong though.

Whichever version you choose, make sure you buy one with a well made binding that can withstand being flung against the wall.  Repeatedly.  With force.  Most Bibles can't take more than thirty or forty thumps.
lol
Maybe I should break down and get a hard copy! I certainly don't want to break my Nook! D:
King James no doubt. Highly recommended by Christopher Hitchens' as well.
Though I am sometimes reluctant to admit it, there really is something “timeless” in the Tyndale/King James synthesis. For generations, it provided a common stock of references and allusions, rivaled only by Shakespeare in this respect. It resounded in the minds and memories of literate people, as well as of those who acquired it only by listening. From the stricken beach of Dunkirk in 1940, faced with a devil’s choice between annihilation and surrender, a British officer sent a cable back home. It contained the three words “but if not … ” All of those who received it were at once aware of what it signified. In the Book of Daniel, the Babylonian tyrant Nebuchadnezzar tells the three Jewish heretics Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego that if they refuse to bow to his sacred idol they will be flung into a “burning fiery furnace.” They made him an answer: “If it be so, our god whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thy hand, o King. / But if not, be it known unto thee, o king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.”
Of course, Hitchens recommends the KJV because of its literary merits, not because of clarity or any special arguments within.

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 5 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 6 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service