Basically, I've been creeping on the forums/blogs/everything else here for quite a while. I live in a very strange place. Orlando, FL is definitely part of the south, but there are so many cultures here, either by emigration or vacation, so the variety of people keeps this city from the fate of so many other southern cities. However, 20 miles out and you can bet there's a church on every street corner. It's a weird place for sure. Quietly liberal. I'm very lucky to have called Orlando my home in an otherwise very red region. 

Anyways, I grew up in a Christian household. Barely went to church though, that may have helped me ask more questions than the average 9 year old regarding religion. I always wondered why mine was the correct one. What made Christianity more valid than Buddhism? Or paganism? Why did everyone [that I knew] assume the Bible was right when there are facts that are so blatantly wrong? How could I trust a book that said the sun was made for the earth and mentioned talking snakes? No one could ever answer my questions, so I decided to make my own philosophical decisions. Studying international relations and cultures throughout high school and into college, I started to very much dislike the violence that almost always resulted from religion. Why can't my two gay best friends get married? Why must the default position in the US be "we are all children under the same god" (per Romney last night)? I have respect for other people, I have integrity, dignity, therefore I can trust myself with my own moral decisions. 

I've come to find it to be very frustrating being an atheist in America these days. My family is mostly hardcore Republican and ANY mention of liberalism makes their heads explode. They seriously believe that Obama is a Muslim and from Africa. They seriously believe that he is evil and hates America. And they seriously believe that atheism automatically means that someone cannot be trusted and has no moral compass. Yet, they tell me all the time how proud they are that I'm the first in the family to graduate with honors from a university and attempt to go Ivy league for graduate school. But, god forbid that I bring up my distaste for religion and all hell breaks loose. Apparently, I've been exposed to too much "liberal propaganda" from college and thus have been brainwashed by the machine. I can't take it.

Just thought I'd share a bit of my back story. I really enjoy reading the discussions here and am very impressed by all this intellectual discourse. Keep it up! 

By the way, my name is Jennifer!

Views: 570

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just to let you know you're not alone, we recently had a girl confide that after she told her family of her views, an aunt invited her over to look at some photo albums, but when she arrived, she found her aunt and some of her aunt's friends waiting for her. Her aunt threw "Holy Water" in her face, in an effort to drive out the "Atheist Demon!"

My maternal grandmother used to refer to feisty people as being "full of piss and vinegar," which brings to mind a suitable response to the holy water thing.

I wonder where the holy water came from? ...the local religious supplies store?

To make holy water,

...they just boil the hell out of it. ;)

not to make light of getting informally "exorcised.."

If you expose atheists to holy water, do they catch fire? Or just wonder why you are making them wet?

During my last visit to a catholic church, I think I purposely did not touch the stuff! LOL

I have a massage therapist that recently sprayed something call ALSEA on to my body before she started to work on me. She said it was like tears and could cure just about everything. I did find that I wanted to cry during my massage because she is a very good massuse but nutty as a hatter....LOL

Sometimes the absurd just makes me want to cry........

Sometimes the absurd just makes me want to say, "Unseen, are you still here?!"

It occurred to me a month or so ago that the way to unbaptize someone is to hand them a towel.

Which may be what Douglas Adams was thinking as he wrote Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 28 minutes ago. 28 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Ed 1 hour ago. 8 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 4 hours ago. 64 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 11 hours ago. 12 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service