If gun control does come, bear in mind it will be just part of a program to prevent such massacres in the future. If you listen to the gaggle of experts and pundits interviewed in the wake of these slaughters, many don't even see gun control as the biggest piece of the puzzle. Other pieces one hears proposed:

1) An end to violent shoot-em-up video games. I hope you like The Sims, because if they have their way, no more Call of Duty or Grand Theft Auto.

2) More attention to mental illness, which threatens to catch people who are eccentric (or even "goth") in the same net as the true crazies. Concentration camps for schizophrenics and bipolars? Maybe not concentration camps but if the mentally ill suffer from public misperceptions now,  things won't get better for them.

3) Throttling the violence available to the public via TV and movies. Imagine a world with no Batman or James Bond movies and no crime/police movies on TV. Instead nothing but chick flicks and "uplifting" or "inspiring" TV shows.

4) Getting God back into our everyday lives, focusing on the schools and on promoting Christian-oriented television.

The lesson: be careful what you wish for, because you may get it along with a few other things you won't like nearly as much.

Tags: TV, control, games, gun, illness, mental, movies, video

Views: 423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Constitutional rights may be automatic, but aren't guaranteed to be fixed permanently in stone. Hence the "2nd Amendment". They can be changed or withdrawn at any time, although the process to make this happen in the US may necessarily be somewhat fraught and long-winded. Ask black Americans about their rights now, as compared with 100 years ago.

The comparison with parents and children was intentionally flippant, merely to illustrate the point; I thought that was fairly clear.

I stand by my final paragraph. With rights come responsibilities, and anyone or any group that abuse their rights at the expense of others - grossly so, in the case of mass shootings - risk losing their rights, and those of others who may be perfectly innocent, but who enjoy the same rights. And rightly so.

RSS

Events

Services we love!

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service