After every major shooting, the gun control advocates can be counted on to ask "NOW can't you see the need for gun control?" But does gun control really make sense?

Would gun control have prevented this slaughter? I doubt it. Guns will continue to be available for the person determined to get one, and the kind of person who does something like the Colorado movie theater shooting would be determined.

The problem isn't the weapon, it's the intent, and there are plenty of other ways to kill. There are even plenty of ways to kill en masse. A bomb brought into the theater could have killed more as could an incendiary device. In other contexts, there's poisoning food or water.

Is the cause of gun violence really the availability of guns or is it the nature of the people who use them? Other countries have similar or greater rates of gun possession (I believe both Israel and Switzerland have higher rates), but they don't have nearly the rate of gun violence.

The difference in gun violence between Switzerland and the United States comes down to the difference between the Swiss people and Americans, and I don't see Americans changing in any fundamental way anytime soon.

Tags: batman, colorado, control, gun, shooting

Views: 3313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In our age of computer graphics and "wow" factor the thirst for sensationalism is at an all time high. I tend to grow bored with all the special effects and overexposed story line. But you have to feed the monster and it is paying well. 

I consider anyone who walks into a crowded movie theater and fires upon innocent civilians crazy, despite which movie they were going to see. I doubt the gunman was motivated by the Batman movies (which, of the superhero genre of films, I consider quite well made) and probably would have struck at some other crowded location had the midnight showing not been available to him. 

RE: "Who on earth thinks these cheesy b-movies are worth watching anyway?"

Even you can't believe that! The computer graphics are incredible, it's a chance for kids to see their comic books come to life, and it's good, wholesome, escapist entertainment, - nothing "'B' movie" about it.

If no one thought they were worth watching, they wouldn't pay to see them and they would not make any more. Seen a lot of singing, dancing musicals lately? No, because their popularity faded, and unless they bring a particularly popular Broadway show to the screen, for those who would otherwise never see it, they just don't make those anymore.

How about we all stay home and watch reality TV?

This country is insane!  We not only routinely kill each other with guns by the tens of thousands every year, we are PROUD of it!   USA!  USA!  USA!

Last year, Canada had 144 gun deaths by homicide.    We had just shy of 10,000.   USA!  USA!  USA!

We had more deaths than the combined total of all the countries in the world except 4, where virtual civil wars were being waged.   NRA!  NRA!  NRA! 

No more than the War on Drugs has prevented drug abuse. What kind of hate did the childhood of that young man - who by all reports was quite intelligent - foster?

I have no problems with people having a hand gun for protection or a rifle for hunting but should the average person be allowed access to powerful automatic military style weapons over the counter? Maybe some control is needed in that area?

Reg - I've seen StreetSweepers for sale in a gun shop. (For those who don't know what a StreetSweeper is, it's a 12-gauge shotgun, with a 1940's Tommygun-style disk mounted in the middle that feeds ammunition for rapid fire.)

Who in the hell needs a StreetSweeper?!!

I have had a hankering for a 2 gigawatt plasma cannon, for clearing trees. What else do you think I was going to use it for? LOL  

"I can't get an assault rifle? Oh well, I guess I'll make a bomb."

OR, you could bore them all to death - that wouldn't take long --

Behind every chemistry or physics nerd there lies a possible pyro with delusions of grandure. I think knowledge demands deep responsibility. Knowing that there is more than enough ugliness already, is a good place to start!

And why do people forget that making a crude gun is a trivial exercise? And someone suitably motivated can make an automatic variety too. Once the concept behind the weapon is common knowledge, it's essentially impossible to ban or fully regulate. 

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Unseen 51 minutes ago. 21 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.