After every major shooting, the gun control advocates can be counted on to ask "NOW can't you see the need for gun control?" But does gun control really make sense?

Would gun control have prevented this slaughter? I doubt it. Guns will continue to be available for the person determined to get one, and the kind of person who does something like the Colorado movie theater shooting would be determined.

The problem isn't the weapon, it's the intent, and there are plenty of other ways to kill. There are even plenty of ways to kill en masse. A bomb brought into the theater could have killed more as could an incendiary device. In other contexts, there's poisoning food or water.

Is the cause of gun violence really the availability of guns or is it the nature of the people who use them? Other countries have similar or greater rates of gun possession (I believe both Israel and Switzerland have higher rates), but they don't have nearly the rate of gun violence.

The difference in gun violence between Switzerland and the United States comes down to the difference between the Swiss people and Americans, and I don't see Americans changing in any fundamental way anytime soon.

Tags: batman, colorado, control, gun, shooting

Views: 3313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree. Here is another. Gun crimes went up 40% after UK ban. Mostly in areas of low legal handgun ownership. The problem isn't gun control. It's culture.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/1440764.stm

"research commissioned by the Countryside Alliance's Campaign for Shooting"

You'll need a far better source than that!

I always find UK cases a bit difficult to examine.  Unless it is stated, it is hard to know if the numbers cited include the use of fake firearms or if they strictly include real and functioning firearms.

In many cases, the data is in, the facts are clear, but there is a committed group claiming that there's uncertainty (think global warming, evolution, etc.). That doesn't mean we shouldn't examine the data.

In the case of gun control, it's important to understand that the NRA's primary motivation is profit for the gun makers. That doesn't mean the causes and effects are easy to sort out - but it does mean their statements deserve special scrutiny.

In many cases, perhaps, but in the case of gun control, there's no doubt that results are mixed. Gun crimes went up in some places and went down in others. In any case, the crimes committed with guns are already illegal. The real question is whether making guns less available really makes them less available to criminals. And in the case of crimes of passion, the unavailability of a gun hardly makes it impossible to kill the other party. Not as long as there are kitchen knives, hatchets, and baseball bats.

In the very specific case of my country, getting the permit and gun is very expensive. Must criminals get their guns in the black market or stealing them directly from the military and police.

Basically, as it has been said before, if someone wants a gun he will find the way to get it.

I would think that making guns, or certain types of guns less available would eventually reduce their availability to criminals... just not within timelines with which most people would be satisfied.

My concern, which admittedly may be incorrect, is that an environment exists in which different factions need to keep incrementally increasing their firepower to one up each other. Inflation for firepower. (police agencies are included as a faction in that scenario)

I would think that making guns, or certain types of guns less available would eventually reduce their availability to criminals... just not within timelines with which most people would be satisfied.

That flies in the face of the principle of supply and demand. Making guns less available legally will just drive up the price of illegal guns.

Think of the "success" of the war on drugs.

RE: "Making guns less available legally will just drive up the price of illegal guns."

Which would at least put them out of reach for some, if not many. To be honest, I'd much rather see an AK-47 or an Uzzi in the hands of a Mafia mobster, who at least is a professional, has training in weaponry, and has a specific agenda generally related to his "business," than to see one in the hands of a crackhead (which is rare, because most would sell it for money to buy crack), an amateur first-timer, or an all-out nutjob like the one in Colorado.

Unlike illicit drugs, most (if not nearly all) illegally possessed firearms are legally produced to meet demands for legal possession.

Unlike a number of illicit drugs, firearms don't have addiction to support market demand.

Unlike illicit drugs, most (if not nearly all) illegally possessed firearms are legally produced to meet demands for legal possession.

I'm not sure that's true of Beretta and some of the other foreign companies who would be exempt from direct control by the American government. The drug cartels would buy guns and bring them up to the gangs they use to distribute drugs in the U.S., and they would sell guns just as they sell drugs. BTW, AK-47 is a design not a brand, and it's made all over the place.

Unlike a number of illicit drugs, firearms don't have addiction to support market demand.

Only if you don't count the street addicts that the gangs profit by. I would count that as addiction-based support.

Of course guns can be smuggled in, and it's not as if the current supply would just evaporate.  I did not state that illegal firearm possession would halt; I stated that the availability of firearms to criminals would likely be reduced.

Only if you don't count the street addicts that the gangs profit by.

I really don't.  

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Zachary L. Hagedorn 3 minutes ago. 162 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.