http://http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2011/feb/16/idaho-moves-ban...

I was so distressed by this that I couldn't sleep after hearing about it on the radio.  How is quoting the bible considered grounds for a factual and rational argument for something of such serious content, especially within our government?

My mind kept parroting two things at me:

1. Give me one bible quote arguing for god's sanctity for life, and I will give you three where he condones/encourages/roots enthusiastically for murder.

2. I hope the Right to Life of Idaho folks never have to watch a loved one suffer the end stages of a terminal disease.  I'd hate for them to suddenly want to show any mercy for their fellow man by allowing them to die peacefully and with dignity instead of in excruciating, painful agony.  

What are your comments? 

Tags: assisted, bible, death, fact, life, physician, suicide

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, I will rephrase that sentence. These zealots have a mind set from the dark ages and they are not real Christians.

I don't think you can really make that statement in confidence. A Christian is a Christian is a Christian. Whether they are spouting hate or love, division or unification they are all following the same book with the same words. There are no "real" Christians and "fake" Christians or real or fake versions of any other religion.

The religions are what they are, and the people use them to justify their own personal likes and dislikes. That is the fundamental problem with religion, it is so vague and fluffly it allows people to insert their own biases and interfere with another person's life just because "God said it in the bible".

I'm glad I'm not the only one who got really angry-- 'cause I did.  One of my friends told me that I didn't have enough information to know whether this bill was possibly passing due to relgious reasoning and that it's perfectly legal (due to freedom of speech) to bring religious views into the courtroom.  Bah!   
Can't help but wonder what would be your friend's reaction to a Muslim bringing his Sharia law views into a courtroom.
Oh, he's the type of person who will take the other side of the argument simply for argument's sake.  He's horribly pessimistic, as well.  Kind of a downer, now that I consider it.

Here is an excerpt from one parties election manifesto in Ireland for next week’s general election:

The party will implement “legislation to provide for recognition of Advance Care Directives” under which patients could indicate their personal wishes as regards end-of-life and palliative care treatment.

@Kai – I take your point. What I mean is they are not living up to the ideals that they claim Jesus preached about love and compassion for others. So they are bad at doing “Christianity”. I would not like them living next door to me.

Fair enough. I figured that is what you had meant. Just thought it was worth clarifying that they're all in the same boat, and we shouldn't let any of them get away with arguments about who's a real believer or not.

I like that phrase... it should be a shirt. "Why are you all so bad at DOING Christianity?" 

Exactly!  Where's the mercy for one's fellow man and his/her suffering?
Seems a little too logical for them to grasp. 
Nah, I don't think that will work work.  Remember that Jesus says "Father, why have you forsaken me?" or some such nonsense.  So perhaps "God the Father" knew it the whole time, but God as he appears in human form (Jesus) didn't know it was going to happen.  At least, this is my understanding of the story.
Rich,           Lol, never thought of that, great !

RSS

Forum

Your kid's friends

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by GTWilco 4 hours ago. 2 Replies

World conflict and problems other than Israel-Palestine.

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 9 hours ago. 54 Replies

Is Anything Worth Saying Anymore?

Started by Ari E. S. in Small Talk. Last reply by Fragile Nokia 18 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service