Hey everyone. I will be experiencing my first World Cup as I became a "football" (soccer) fan two years ago. I didnt even know such a tournament existed and now after following MLS and EPL for the last two years on EPSN, Fox Soccer Channel, and Setanta Sports, I am well versed with many of the players involved in the tourney.

So is anyone out there watching? Who will you be rooting for? What teams and leagues do you follow? How did you come to the sport? 

I will be rooting on my country the USA. One of the only sports we are underdogs in. I follow the EPL (Tottenham), MLS (Seattle), as well as the champions league and other tournements like the fa cup. I came to the sport after a year long mocking of my british boss for liking such a girly sport. After a year of this the euro cup was going to be on espn so I tuned in to kiss a little ass, but what I got out of it was a life changing experience. If I had to keep only one sport it would be the beautiful game.

So anyway share your story if you git one and if your in the US tune on on ESPN, ESPN2, and ABC to view this years World Cup June 11th thu July from South Africa.

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll be following my team England. So we'll be in the same group. I always get over optimistic when it comes to England. By the way you should really try to banish the "S" word from your vocabulary, it is Football to everyone else;-)
For the most part I do not use the S word, but I figured alot of people on here were American and used it to limit confusion. In my mind there is only one true football and the origin of the word soccer just makes me hate it that much more.

Why is John Terry the captain? I cant stand that guy, I am from Detroit and the best captain we ever had was Steve Yzerman and I think Steven Gerrard is right up there with him.

I think we will both make out out of the group stages and if England can pull it together they could put 66 behind um.
I am a lioverpool football fan. Steve Gerrard is the greatest.
I support England also but I do hope in this World CUp the players of all teams will please refrain from thinking that their god is watching them as they do the sign of the cross and look up to the sky, before coming on or scoring a goal..
Any comments about this?
That's just for show. Most of these players are their own gods in their eyes.
Deutschland! See you in the round of 16?
Let's hope that Jesus can save souls better than the Australian keeper saves goals.

source link (ESPN soccernet)

JOHANNESBURG -- Police say a South African man who wanted to watch a World Cup match instead of a religious program was beaten to death by his family in the northeastern part of the country.
David Makoeya, a 61-year-old man from the small village of Makweya, Limpopo province, fought with his wife and two children for the remote control on Sunday because he wanted to watch Germany play Australia in the World Cup. The others, however, wanted to watch a gospel show.

"He said, 'No, I want to watch soccer,'" police spokesman Mothemane Malefo said Thursday. "That is when the argument came about.

"In that argument, they started assaulting him."

Malefo said Makoeya got up to change the channel by hand after being refused the remote control and was attacked by his 68-year-old wife Francina and two children, 36-year-old son Collin and 23-year-old daughter Lebogang.

Malefo said he was not sure what the family used to kill Makoeya.

"It appears they banged his head against the wall," Malefo said. "They phoned the police only after he was badly injured, but by the time the police arrived the man was already dead."

All three were arrested Sunday night, but Lebogang was released on $200 bail Tuesday, Malefo said. The other two are still being held in custody.

Malefo said the mother and son will reappear in the local Seshego Magistrates Court on July 27.

"He was always a happy man, never violent," Makoeya's nieces, Miriam and Anna, told the Daily Sun newspaper. "On Saturday, we saw him the last time at a funeral."

The World Cup, being played in Africa for the first time, started Friday and runs through July 11.
We Americans had it right the first time when we just ignored the sport.
Ignored it the first time? US came in third in the first World Cup back in 1930 if I'm not mistaken.
Normally I make fun of the US soccer team (less to do with the team and more to do with the country). At some point I looked up their best World Cup result, and that tid bit stuck in my memory. Still, I thought their form was decent against England. I'm sure many people will credit the draw to sloppy playing from England, which is somewhat true, but I don't think that would be totally fair here.

Now if we're talking Women's World Cup, that's a different story.
Whew, the atmosphere here is crazy! My city is one of the host cities, but the weather's been a bit foul. As a South African, I was horribly depressed by Bafana's display last night (4-0!). I'm not a particularly patriotic person, but I've divided my loyalties according to the languages I speak. Unfortunately France lost against Mexico this evening, so I might have to change my methods.

In South Africa, we mainly call it soccer ("sokker" in my first language). I see a lot of people insisting that it's "football" and not soccer, but really, it's not that serious. "Soccer" is perfectly acceptable over here.
Thanks for the correction! I was convinced that it was more horrible than it really was, but now that you mentioned it, I remember thinking that at least we didn't get our butts kicked as badly as Australia by Germany. But oh man, it was awful to watch.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service