What do you think about being an Atheist and listening to Hardcore (Or not Hardcore) music? Do you think it's weird? What are your thoughts? I personally don't think there's anything wrong with it. Some people seem to think it's hypocritical. I just think that if it's good music then what's wrong with listening to it?

Views: 395

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Would Johnny Cash's material count as Christian music, particularly his later stuff? If so yes, I listen to Cash on a regular basis, I just interpret his lyrics differently. And yes I have been called a hypocrite before because of this.

The way I see it, why should our tastes in music, film, literature, etc., change when we realize we see no good reason to believe in any deities? Why should the words we use to express ourselves change? I enjoy listening to classical music. Should I abstain from listening to it simply because I'm an atheist, and many classical pieces were inspired by religion?

The only people I see complaining about it are the religious, trying to claim that we really do believe because we either listen to religious music or say "oh my god", or anti-theists who seem to think that nothing of a religious nature should be tolerated in an atheistic world. I don't hold much respect for either group.

I still enjoy Harry Potter even though magic isn't real. I still like T'was the Night Before Christmas even though Santa isn't real. There's no reason to stop listening or enjoying music because the subject matter is fake. At least that's my take on it.

"I enjoy the music and they're my ears"

Amen, brother!

I sort of think any music is game for anyone. The lyrics don't have to be true for the person singing them. For example, I'm happily married, but I love to scream along with the Marilyn Manson version of Tainted Love. I've never been to Australia, but I'll try my hand at the harmonies anytime Men at Work's Down Under comes on the radio. (Admittedly, that one has been awhile.)

I was actually thinking about this the other day when a christian friend professed loving Soundgarden's Spoonman. Odd, I thought. Whatever happened to "whatever is pure, just, holy ... think on these things"? But then I thought - who cares? We gain empathy and understanding for others by putting ourselves in their shoes. Doesn't mean we have to agree with them, but maybe music can expand our sphere of experience.

Even if it is hypocritical, just try to stop me from joining in an old-timey jug band version of When the Saints Go Marching In (although my singing may send you running).

Yeah I'm also one of those atheists who listen to hardcore, and some of it happens to be Christian. I agree with most of the other people on here that say it's not hypocritical. I also have friends who are Christians that listen to bands made up of atheists, and express that through their lyrics. If music is a form of art than it is just like saying that you would be a hypocrite for enjoying a painting (or anything else) by a painter that is Christian. It just really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Good answers everyone. Thanks.

There are still some christian songs I listen to every now and then nothing wrong with it I guess

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service