So I was in the car today reading out loud a passage from The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. It talked about why religion was regarded as so serious and offensive when people do political cartoons, and why people don't give a crap when politicians are made fun of. Anyways when I told my mom this she got into this big discussion about how basically atheist have no morals. And how religion gives people morals to behave. In total she said that most of the world's killers do not have any morals because they did not have a religion to follow morals, so they can kill anybody they want because nobody told them they were wrong. So she thought I was not a psychopath because I was raised on religous morals and I was not I would probably be one.  I told my mom it is the exact opposite, because of religion we had people like the columbine killers or the Virginia tech shooter who believed they were god or that it was gods divine intervention to kill all these people. But of course my mom say's I do not understand enough about religion to part from it. That may be true, but at least I know I will maybe never by accepted as an atheist by my mom and I will never so anything horrible or crazy in the name of religion. I would like your feedback in how to deal with this issue with my parents or what your opinions on this are.

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good quote!
"I told my mom it is the exact opposite, because of religion we had people like the columbine killers or the Virginia tech shooter who believed they were god or that it was gods divine intervention to kill all these people."

Good Day!

#Atheism
Thanks for commenting!
"...An Atheist loves himself and his fellow man instead of a god. An Atheist accepts that heaven is something for which we should work now – here on earth – for all men together to enjoy. An Atheist accepts that he can get no help through prayer, but that he must find in himself the inner conviction and strength to meet life, to grapple with it, to subdue it and to enjoy it. An Atheist accepts that only in a knowledge of himself and a knowledge of his fellow man can he find the understanding that will help lead to a life of fulfillment."
-Murray v. Curlett
Very nice quote! Thanks for commenting!
first of all...in 1997 there were only 19 percent of all of the united states citizens who even identify themselves as atheists.

guess who the largest percent where?....I don't even have to tell you the answer, your a smart person!

DON'T BUY IN TO THE PROPAGANDA!
Thanks I won't!
one word. Crusades.
got that right!
Hmm I'm thinking (it hurts)... an atheist doesn't believe in God. That doesn't necessarily make an atheist morally better or worse than a theist in practice. I would hope that atheists would be more inclined to question laid-down rules for living and come to better conclusions based on reality and not hindered by religion but I think we would be wise to remember they might not! At least having an open and questioning mind might help come to better conclusions but personally I'm still wary of assuming too much.
Thanks for the comment!
The few posts I can see already seem to have covered the majority of your post pretty well, I just can't resist chiming in on one thing...

It really bugs the crud out of me when people say that one doesn't understand enough about something to part from it (to use your phrase). Bull-bleeping-bleep! I don't know a lot about necrophilia, bestiality, plushophilia, being a serial killer, running a tv ministry, or how to make haggis, but does that mean that I should feel free to try any/ all of those things until I do learn more about them? I don't think so. Enough ranting though.

As far as dealing with your parents, I can't offer any decent advice. Can offer an ear (well, an eye, since online messages are read...) if you need one though. Some of the other people around here been in similar situations (with better results than mine), so with any luck one of them might be able to help.

Good Luck.

RSS

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 6 Comments

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service