We've all heard this before: "atheists dont believe in anything," and of course that is not true. Unfortunately, I hear this all too often. Since beliefs are an individual thing (especially among the secular community), I pose the question to you: What do you believe in?

I'd love to hear as many thoughts as possible. Hopefully this discussion will generate a diverse enough pool that it would be worthwhile to link this as a response to statements like the one above.

Views: 990

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If science wasn't correctable it wouldn't be science. It is hardly a shortcoming to be open to new information.

If you are saying that because science can only explain the things that have been investigated and supplied with plausible, testable and reproduceable results based on what is known at this point, that is the nature of the world. Sorry if you have higher expectations, that is inherent in the gap of knowledge that religion attempts to fill.

I guess I can understand, I was pretty suicidal when I found out Pluto wasn't a really a planet.

I am more interested in some examples of when the Bible hasn't failed you. I remember once when I was a kid I stood on a bible to reach something on a high shelf, and I guess it didn't fail me that day, but all the other times, specifically the times I actually opened it for use, its pretty much failed. A failure of biblical proportions you might say.

I was pretty suicidal when I found out Pluto wasn't a really a dog!

Arch, don't even get me started on the Donald Duck no pants thing.

Not to mention the inconsistency of Pluto being a dog in canine form, while Goofy is a dog in human form, so I won't mention it.

Are you trying to tell me there is no doG?

Is 20 years long enough to determine failure? What difference do atheists make to this evaluation?

Which came first 'absolute faith' or the determination of failure? Having 'absolute faith', is not the same as 'confidence'. Coming here to get 'absolute faith', seems like a rather foolish enterprise.

If you are trying to get an improvement in your degree of 'confidence' in your belief, this might also not be the place. We are not here for that process.  

Far more so than belief, right?

David,

Do you count your change?

I use oscilloscopes and logic analyzers to gather evidence about the performance of my electrical circuits. I'll tell my customers the data is merely temporal and subjective. Save me a lot of trouble, "just have faith" I'll tell them !

Marc,

No.

So you're saying you give someone a hundred bucks for an item and take it on faith that you got the correct change?

What's realistic about an inclination toward religion (you're a Jehovah's Witness, right?)?

Science is a method, not a body of knowledge. Religion is a body of dogma. The difference between science and religion is probably what you view as it's primary flaw: it's changeable whereas you prefer something solid and unchanging, even if it isn't true.

The difference between religion and science is science's capacity to correct itself. The inability to do so is why religion is worthless.

RSS

Forum

Deepak's challenge

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 16 minutes ago. 22 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Davis Goodman 6 hours ago. 70 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by Tor Hershman 8 hours ago. 3 Replies

Living freely.

Started by Quincy Maxwell in Society. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 12 hours ago. 21 Replies

What is the purpose of gender

Started by Christopher Swicegood in Small Talk. Last reply by Heather Spoonheim yesterday. 56 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 0 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service