Hi All,

We had a discussion many moons ago about atheists and morality and a lot has happened since then. I reached some new conclusions (which I'll withhold for now so I don't poison the water) and at least one other poster here has some new ideas about it.

So, I was wondering what the prevailing opinion is out there on this topic. Do you believe that atheists can be "moral"? Is it impossible for an atheist to be truly moral? Is "morality" something to which adherents have a valid claim? The infamous Dawkins and Harris had a discussion at Oxford about this about a year or so ago that was very good and I would also be interested in what anyone thinks of what was discussed there.

Thanks and all are welcome.

- kk

Views: 1456

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

hey -  lol - kk

Hey Arch,

Yep, I got bumped to the top as well a few times,

- kk

Then it's the software, good to know - I had an issue with one of the "Powers That Be" recently, and human nature being what it is, one never knows --

Arch,

You get more fascinating the more you type, honey, sweetie, dear, (thinking of some other pertly word), my friend ;-) - kk

I'll bet you say that to all the proto-birds --:x lovestruck

rflmao - kk

Like this?http://api.ning.com/files/uso0NvsEja148qMhgTl5tcWI-occJ79jQ2Z-m*UHkmJUfwm0R4ANrFKHS2jyJmoRHF13Bsf5ewFRdxSMCaNajbLQIZ2nJ5s4/icon_roflmao.gif

I'm not moral; I'm ethical. Big difference.

Not when morals is defined as published prescription and/or proscriptions regarding behavior, such as The Ten Commandments. Ethics are based on assessing a situation and the consequences of various responses, not on "How do I apply such and such a commandment to this situation." Confsing morals and ethics makes the situation more difficult to discuss.

Hey Unseen,

Then can ethics be a process by which you can obtain moral "codes"?

- kk

(Heavy Sigh)

And Kir wondered why I didn't want to be part of this --

Arch,

Whaattt? What do you mean? You're pretty smart, and knowledgeable, you just have to try to be serious for a few minutes ;-)

- kk

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service