Hi All,

We had a discussion many moons ago about atheists and morality and a lot has happened since then. I reached some new conclusions (which I'll withhold for now so I don't poison the water) and at least one other poster here has some new ideas about it.

So, I was wondering what the prevailing opinion is out there on this topic. Do you believe that atheists can be "moral"? Is it impossible for an atheist to be truly moral? Is "morality" something to which adherents have a valid claim? The infamous Dawkins and Harris had a discussion at Oxford about this about a year or so ago that was very good and I would also be interested in what anyone thinks of what was discussed there.

Thanks and all are welcome.

- kk

Views: 1456

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No mija, no me gusta, ni otras drogas - estan muy malo para la cuerpa. No mas dos o tres veces, muchos años pasado, pero ahora, nada (aunque cerveza esta bíen, con lima, y poquito sal!)

Para me, la noche esta acabo - hasta mañana, Chicitita --

Arch - are you sure? - kk

Arch,

The most immoral person I know, discussing morality?

To whom do you refer? And yea, I think I got the Shakespearean line. Thanks

- kk

RE: "To whom do you refer?"

ME!

Arch - aww come on, I want to be the debaucherous one! :-) - kk

I-) sleepy

debauchery is not just a way of life its a special frame of mind lol shall we all jump of the deep end with it? I'll bring the Scotch....

Nikos - Quite - kk

Hey Tiffany,

Yea, I think you summed up Harris' view very well. - kk

Wouldn't it?  What if killing 1 person would cure cancer in a million cancer patients?

I realize that's a contrived example but I am sure with some thought you could come up with a scenario where killing or injuring someone (or taking their stuff) would cause them harm but produce greater benefit to some group of other people.

I am sure with some thought you could come up with a scenario where killing or injuring someone (or taking their stuff) would cause them harm but produce greater benefit to some group of other people.

Isn't that the entire premise of every war and crime..ever?

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service