Hi All,

We had a discussion many moons ago about atheists and morality and a lot has happened since then. I reached some new conclusions (which I'll withhold for now so I don't poison the water) and at least one other poster here has some new ideas about it.

So, I was wondering what the prevailing opinion is out there on this topic. Do you believe that atheists can be "moral"? Is it impossible for an atheist to be truly moral? Is "morality" something to which adherents have a valid claim? The infamous Dawkins and Harris had a discussion at Oxford about this about a year or so ago that was very good and I would also be interested in what anyone thinks of what was discussed there.

Thanks and all are welcome.

- kk

Views: 1481

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Simon,

I think this is one of your greats.

... Sam Harris would use it as a stick to beat religion with, because he's morally a child, ...

rflmao

... Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins are divisive and destructive in their approach. ...

Which is not how you sell a car.

The hypothalamus is all very well and all that - but for this system, you don't even need a brain.

lol, I understand.

- kk

Hmmm --

"No, it isn't - kk"

Arch - where did I say that? - kk

In your message to me.

Are you really sure about that, Arch? I see that you and Kir are not on each other's friends lists, and you don't seem to have had a comment on your page since October. I don't know of any other way that you could be messaged, apart from e-mail.

You ARE aware that we all have TA emails, aren't you, Simon? That's how most of my friends communicate with me.

You, on the other hand, lost that privilege after your earlier comment: "Arch - give it a rest, frankly you're being a total asshole."

If he wanted to tell me something he would just say it, because he has balls. 

"you and Kir are not on each other's friends lists"

"That's how most of my friends communicate with me."

Why, Arch? 

RE: "If he wanted to tell me something he would just say it, because he has balls."

Again, Hmmmm --

Why, what, Simon?

Why is it that, "That's how most of my friends communicate with me."? - because, astonishingly, we like to talk to each other.

Why is it that, "you and Kir are not on each other's friends lists"? - YOU're the one who said that that was the case, frankly I hadn't noticed.

Regarding objectivity, the way I see it is that it is possible to identify a small list of moral values which all homo sapiens within 3 standard deviations would agree with.  However, moral values are "high level" manifestations of the basic underlying principle, and that's probably why there is so much room for disagreement.  Many moral values which people hold would only be shared by a fraction of the human race, which is why they are not called objective values.  It is definitely true that not all values are completely based on my underlying principle.  That in itself doesn't invalidate those values. 

Hey - wait ... three s.d. s or 4? Or 2? Shouldn't it be an even number? Anyway, I'm seeing your point here as well as from some other things you showed me. There is something nicely realistic about this -  as opposed to the hypothetical hyperbola I sometimes get wrapped up in.

- kk

RSS

Forum

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 64 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 5 hours ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 9 hours ago. 12 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 13 hours ago. 7 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service