Hi All,

We had a discussion many moons ago about atheists and morality and a lot has happened since then. I reached some new conclusions (which I'll withhold for now so I don't poison the water) and at least one other poster here has some new ideas about it.

So, I was wondering what the prevailing opinion is out there on this topic. Do you believe that atheists can be "moral"? Is it impossible for an atheist to be truly moral? Is "morality" something to which adherents have a valid claim? The infamous Dawkins and Harris had a discussion at Oxford about this about a year or so ago that was very good and I would also be interested in what anyone thinks of what was discussed there.

Thanks and all are welcome.

- kk

Views: 1435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really, the person you want is John Major - hunt him down, and you have a discussion.

Nobody wants John Major.  If you plan to hunt him down, on behalf of Her Maj's subjects, we waive the law regarding the illegality of guns for this one instance.  However, we feel an insect spray would most likely be adequate.

Hey Strega,

Well, I tried but no response yet

- kk

I've always found John to be a very intelligent, knowledgeable and honorable individual.

Is there a John Major you might be referring to that wasn't the successor to Margaret Thatcher's UK prime ministership? 

Quite likely, unless that John Major was also a TA member and former theist. However, I do believe that John Major was also British, so --

The spitting image caricature of John Major was more animated than John Major.  The waxwork of John Major in Madame Tussaud's is more of a conversationalist than John Major.  The...  (but I am ranging off topic)

It cannot be the same one. 

If John and I should communicate again, I'll apologize to him on your behalf.

yes, please say sorry!  but I bet he will laugh :)

I'm sure that John, being British, would likely "get" the joke sooner than I would, and laugh.

Ouch

Uh, I'm -- not hearing laughter --

Long time! How the hell have you been, John? A few different faces (avatars), otherwise, nothing much has changed.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 1 hour ago. 133 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.