For a long time people that know me have been telling me they think I may suffer from depression and/or anxiety.  So much so that I began to believe it.  I am still somewhat open to the possibility, but my position on the matter is: so what?  I'm not hurting anyone.  I'm certainly not going to alter my body chemistry just because it doesn't match what is "normal".  Where would evolution have gone if all species could change themselves back to "normal"?

Last night I read this article about shyness, introversion, and social anxiety.  It confirmed many of my thoughts on the matter, and got me to research introversion more.  Before, I had been aware of the general idea of introversion/extroversion (never studied psychology that much), but I did not know that it could be such a specific and pervasive behavioral trait.  After much reading I found that on the introvert/extrovert scale, I'm about as introverted as you could possibly get.

Anyway, in the article the author references Winifred Gallagher: “The glory of the disposition that stops to consider stimuli rather than rushing to engage with them is its long association with intellectual and artistic achievement."  It got me thinking about religion.  Are introverts more likely to analyze the inconsistencies and problems with religion before (or even after) committing to one?  How many atheists are introverts?

So, do you consider yourself more introverted than extroverted?  A poll would be awesome, but I don't see an option to add one.

Views: 1987

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I honestly don't know. I have been shy, but I see that as self conceit more than true introversion. But I have also been fond of putting on a show. The safety of a stage, I suppose. I do suffer from depression, though, and that has manifested itself in ways that might seem counter-intuitive - mainly anger issues. I have wondered if this contributed to my skepticism, but my atheism essentially manifested after I started getting help.
I'm an introvert. I became interested in this a while ago, and found out what I was.
Definitely introverted, frequently depressed, not really anxious, used to be more shy than I am now. I second your view on this Erik. I have my reasons to be depressed. It can be perfectly rational I feel. Aside from that, I think in my case being introverted certainly led me to question religion, along with many other things. Most of each day I'm alone with my thoughts. So I'm always churning over something or other up there, politics and ethics these days usually.
Very introvert.
I'm definitely more introverted. I have been for my whole life. I've been trying to break out of being shy, but sometimes it seems too unnatural to me

Apparently, it's "in vogue". ;)

I choose to dissent.

I used to be shy when I was a boy, but I overcompensated by becoming a loud, often obnoxious and drunken asshole.

I am more introverted than extroverted.  I have found that extroverts are obsessed with what others think of them.  That is something that I have never understood and don't like.
External recognition of achievements is the only true form of self reality check of correctness and validation of assumptions. It's why extroverts seek it external recognition for internal accomplishments.

Being an introvert was always something I really didn't know how to feel about, and I felt like it held me back from meaningful social interactions with people. I'm an easy to talk to person, but I just always felt like there was just some social gene I didn't have... until I read this http://jerrybrito.org/post/6114304704/top-ten-myths-about-introverts

It was a great article and really helped me feel better about myself, even if it is a bit general. 

I'm an introvert, due to an extreme fear of embarrassment (kudos to the amazing parenting of my biodad for that one: openly mocking a 2 year old in public for lisping = parenting at its best!) but I'm working hard to change that. At the same time, this is only introversion on a personal level. When I am speaking, not as myself, but more as part of a cause, I am extroverted. When I am acting in front of a crowd of strangers, I am extroverted. If my friends or family are in attendance, I'm an introvert. It's a bit awkward.

sorry to hear that , my father embarrassed the hell out of me as well.  Every time I had to play piano for a school concert , my father would throw a hysterical fit in front of EVERYONE .... about how he can't stand crowds , how terrible I sounded on the piano , how he can't stand these sort of concerts ... he cussed out my long time mentor , a choir director at my high school ... cussed me out a few times in front of crowds that knew me.  Oh my god , It was so awful.  He would also tease me and make fun of me and ask me really stupid questions like 'are you gay , it's ok ... just never seen you with a girlfriend before'    

(Maybe it's because I am too embarrassed to bring a female friend around you , ever think of that? is what I wanted to tell him)  

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service