"...It has always been directly related to materialism. Summed up, the more
materialistic a society is, the less spiritual it becomes. The less
spiritual it becomes, the stronger atheism affects that society.

Therefore, the more materialistic a society becomes, the more atheism strengthens over it."

has anyone had this argument before?

In my personal experience, I'm not any more materialistic then any other person..Christians included.
It's human nature to want things...all of us act on it. There is a difference between liking material things and being greedy. I dont see any atheists running around asking for donations to help their cause or to pay for churches.

We've all seen priests,pastors, etc telling you to send them you're money.

I'd also like to say that being materialistic has nothing to do with realizing you don't believe in a god...not for most of us anyway.

How can I lose my spirtuallity because of being meterialistic if I never believed in a spirit to begin with?

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mark 10:29-30: "I tell you the truth," Jesus replied, "no one who has left home or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or fields for me and the gospel will fail to receive a hundred times as much in this present age (homes, brothers, sisters, mothers, children and fields....
The whole discussion of "materialism" is just a huge confusion.

As David Mann points out, philosophical materialism is completely different from being "materialistic".

This may help shed some light on the issues:

http://www.rationalrevolution.net/articles/understanding_evolution.htm

In ancient Greece philosophical materialism was indeed heavily associated with atheism, and the early Christians basically wages war against the materialists.

However, the materialists, most notably the Epicureans, were very much against being "materialistic", as in possessive of things. They advocated a lifestyle of simplicity and equality, and indeed Epicurus himself was noted as the only major philosopher in Athens that made his school open to the poor for free, while others like Plato and hundreds of others charged heavy fees and lives wealthy lives.

Likewise, Karl Marx is of course one of the most well known materialist philosophers of the past 300 years, and of course he railed against "materialism" in the lifestyle sense, and even developed a whole theory around it called commodity fetishism, which he built much of his criticism of capitalist culture on.

Indeed it was Marx the materialist philosopher and economist who launched the most anti-materialistic political movement ever known, a.k.a. Communism, which was in large part a movement against the "materialistic" lifestyle of capitalism, and also of course structural problems with a system whereby ownership of capital by a relative few disfranchises the working majority, who have the profits of their labor taxed away from them by capital owners, but that's another matter entirely.

RSS

Blog Posts

The Void of Silence

Posted by Carol Foley on July 31, 2014 at 11:02pm 0 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service