I was recently in Alaska doing some work. The crew that I was working with was the stereo-typical conservative god fearing crowd. Something struck me about them. They pack guns. On the job site there were guns. When they went fishing, there were guns (makes some sense since bears are common on the rivers). No matter what they were doing, there were guns. A thought occurred to me. Do atheists carry guns? I have four firearms, but only bought one of them because an uncle needed some bucks. The others were given to me as family gifts. The thought of bringing one never occurred to me. We don't have kids, so I really would have to think about the location of them all and the bullets for them. I just don't have an interest in guns. I'm not afraid of anything, so why would I care? 

So the real question that occurred to me is, do any atheists carry firearms? I do know of one. The largess of those that pack in my life are religionists. What are you afraid of? Why do you pack? If we live in the "greatest country" as Americans, why do you have to pack heat? Once in my 36 years do I recall a use for a weapon, but it may have made the situation much worse. If in most countries people don't feel the need to pack, doesn't that refute the greatest country claim on it's face? 

I have no judgement of those that want to pack. I defend that right as closely as the next. I'm not bothered by it. In the Czech Republic I was in a bar with three pistols on the table because we had just been target practicing. I enjoyed that true freedom that we don't have here. But does a transgression like stealing my wallet warrant death? Short of abuse of my child or wife, I don't know when I would pull the trigger. I'm quite capable of damage to anyone without my wrestling background. So why would I pack? If you are an atheist that packs, why is that, and can you justify it without fear? This is a new thought, so I'd love to hear all positions on it.  

Tags: Atheists, Guns, Weapons

Views: 283

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I've actually never touched a gun, which I realize is tantamount to a state crime here in Texas. I grew up on fishing boats, where knives are the weapon and tool of choice; had my parents been ranchers or hunters, I likely would have grown up with a working knowledge of guns as functional tools.

I intend to learn how to shoot someday; I've just been lazy and have not gotten around to it. I mean, with the imminence of the zombie apocalypse, it seems highly imprudent to be totally lacking in weapon skills. Plus, target shooting really looks like fun.

Still, I will probably never own a gun myself. There are days when my emotions refuse to yield to reason and I fear the effects of a serotonin imbalance on my capacity for longterm decisions. Death is too quick and decisive from the barrel of gun.
State crime... nice. In Alaska I didn't fish at all. I think that was a crime as well.
Harry Callahan: I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Moral: If you're gonna pack heat pack something that'll get the job done and don't stop pulling the trigger until your gun is empty, then use it as a club. Remember: A fool and his gun are soon parted. The police always arrive after the crime.

"Jesus said, 'But now whoever has a purse or a bag, must take it and whoever does not have a sword must sell his cloak and buy one.'"
- Luke 22:36
lmao...me and my friends always played army.
The bear spray seems to be the most effective. Many bears are very comfortable with humans on the rivers so they are close enough that you may not even have a holstered weapon out before it's on you and without packing a 44 or Desert Eagle, you might be better off with a large knife. If a bear were to turn on you up there, I think that your survival depends more on the bears intentions then the weapon you carry. The guys shot between the bears legs to splash them and have the noise and a few just look at them like, "Pull the trigger again and see what it gets you."
The bear spray seems to be the most effective. Many bears are very comfortable with humans on the rivers so they are close enough that you may not even have a holstered weapon out before it's on you and without packing a 44 or Desert Eagle, you might be better off with a large knife. If a bear were to turn on you up there, I think that your survival depends more on the bears intentions then the weapon you carry. The guys shot between the bears legs to splash them and have the noise and a few just look at them like, "Pull the trigger again and see what it gets you."
I'm pro 2nd amendment and I advocate of education on firearm safety. I have owned a number of firearms throughout my life but currently own none. I have no interest in "packing", as you put it, and also feel that carrying in day to day life potentially causes more problems than it solves. However, taking a tip from history, I think that it is necessary to have the means to defend your home and livelihood against all threats foreign and domestic. I was raised in a family that was big into recreational sport hunting, but given the scarcity of game these days I find myself morally opposed to it.

*Funny and a little OT; when I killed my first, also my last, animal my father asked my how I felt about it. I told him "Pretty shitty, actually." He told me "Good! You should."*

As the phrase goes "I'd rather have a gun and not need one than need one and not have it.". The fact that religious nut-jobs, more than a fair number of extremists, along with the general criminal element and an increasingly corrupt government are all armed to the teeth makes me fell that caution is more than warranted.

When I own again, as I intend to, I hope that whatever guns I own will just collect dust. I will prrly only take them out to clean them and maybe do a little range shooting.
People corrupt, governments corrupt. It's a basic fact of life. Tracing back the history you can find examples of what one may consider corruption all the way back to the founding of the country. (I does loves me an unarmed people... makes their land easier to take.)

You're trying to make me out as paranoid. I question why. The fact that they ARE taking people away validates my concerns. But I guess only white people should feel secure? What's your point here exactly? Your response seems to invalidate itself.

"They're rounding people up to camps again. It's okay though, I'm white."

Guns are weapons... can you give me a reason to carry a weapon that isn't fear based?

My country was founded by people who overthrew another violently, and did so in a land that was taken from people violently, and has turned into a place where there are still people being dragged off to internment camps violently... And I should somehow be comfortable and secure with that based off... my ethnicity? I'm really really having a hard time seeing where you're coming from...

And yes, if I saw someone I knew being taken away I would confront the issue, as nonviolently as possible.
//"You're trying to make me out as paranoid."//My motivation is not stated, nor is my goal in my remark...

"You truly imagine the US govt coming to take you away or what?"

You implied.

It might be i'm trying to get you to consider the anti-govt stance you have. Again, how long ago did the "increasingly" corruption occur? Or, just you feel it is always on upward spiral, is that your attitude? The word "increasingly" caught my att'n, as if it is something recent or new.

Already touched that "My country was founded by people who overthrew another violently, and did so in a land that was taken from people violently, and has turned into a place where there are still people being dragged off to internment camps violently..."

"Increasing" doesn't necessarily insinuate a point of origin... It's nothing new.

But I think that you hit a very important issue. To determine whether or not lethal force is warranted requires an absolute insight. In many case I don't think I could justify gunning down a law officer for abducting someone I knew... for all I know they could be guilty of some kind of crime.

But as I said, I would intervene as nonviolently as possible, I don't trust any authority to simply take whomever they want without reason. Regardless if an officer was willing to tell me why or not, some amount of action would take place. Inquiries, notification to the community, contacting the media etc..

Certainty is necessary. I have the same feeling about the death penalty... if we're uncertain, we shouldn't be doing it at all. If, on the other hand, I were to personally witness someone being raped or killed I can assure you that either myself or the assailant would be taking a bullet... as unlikely as it is. (But in retrospect it's probably more likely than someone in my neighborhood getting toted away by the CIA.)

Again, I'm not one to construct situations that would warrant gun use. I would just like to have one in the event I found myself in such a situation. =/
It was your example, not mine.
"oH, PreLullaby, feel free to provide your own rational example of how you would use guns to protect yourself against the govt then."

Why?

"Why else would you mention the govt as your reason for needing a gun?"

Because govt is corrupt.

"I did assume it was police you feared. Or is it another govt dept you fear, maybe the street dept? Or the Waste and Sewage Mangement Dept? Or the Dept of Education? Or NASA? Or the Aviation Dept that keeps our airplanes from crashing into each other...there are 100s of govt depts, i did "assume" you meant you were afraid of the police, since they are both local and have guns.
but, i might have misinterpretted your fear of "govt." What dept is it that you need a gun for?"

Handles: try not to fly off them...

"YOu also said you were against people being hauled off by "govt", as a reason you need a gun,"

I'd like for you so site for me exactly when I did that.
Fact is Jean, I don't answer to you. Nor should I, or will I. If you wish, you're more than welcome to clarify exemplify what your position even is.

Please, feel free to provide your own opinion. Instead of trying to put everyone else who gives their feedback on the defensive.

RSS

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service