I recently went to a wedding of one of my boyfriends old friends. It was quite religious with an opening prayer, lots of references to what the bible says about marriage, songs that were religious, more prayers and all that nonsense. 

My boyfriend, who is an atheist, mentioned that he would want that for his wedding because "it's tradition and there would be hell to pay from my family if there wasn't". I personally don't want all that garbage poisoning my wedding, and as for the family, it would be our wedding and not theirs. Why should we do things we don't want to placate them?

My question to you is, what would be right for an atheist? What is your opinion on how an atheist wedding should be? What is your opinion on having a religious wedding to satisfy family members?

Tags: atheist, prayers, religion, wedding

Views: 3070

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Last I looked,  An Athiest lacks a belief in a god or diety ... That's it.

Therefore the question what would be right for an Atheist you'd have to ask every single Atheist.

I guess I'm saying personally for your situation honestly I have no idea "what would be right for an atheist" Simply becuase there  is no doctrine it's not a religion and there are millions of Atheists with millions of different opinions on everything else lol.

Do what YOU want i guess, but as it's a marriage best to be including your partners wishes too lol , I wouldnt worry what his or your parents want your not marrying them ,

Unless your letting them pay for it I wouldn't be too concerned what they want.

Just glad I married another Atheist who is as passionate as me about openly declaring we are Atheists and that Theism is irrelevant to us.

I'm not sure why you'd need to justify why you left out the religious stuff if you just planned everything and omitted it, that could work?

Never have I been to a wedding where i've known before hand it's going to be Godly or not or cared  .... Always it has been about a celebration of a couple and THEIR special declaration of a  committment to one another .

Every Atheist is different with only 1 thing in common with another Atheist....lacks a belief in a god or diety. I am always very cautious not to declare anything "Atheists do, should do or shouldn't do" that's doctrine and dogma i 'll leave that to the Theists

Good luck sounds like a polar opposites situation , maybe run off and elope or find someone else if it's a deal breaker :)

Sorry, let me rephrase. I know that atheism doesn't exactly have a set way to live or anything. What would be right for YOU as an atheist? I am asking more of an opinion than a general consensus of how atheism should be.

Do what you and your fiance want.  Nosy mothers in law, etc. need to be firmly kept in their place--the ceremony is for you and your fiance, not for them.  If they insist that if they are paying for it they should call the shots... well you have the choice not to accept the big fancy wedding but to walk out of a smaller ceremony knowing that the people who it is for are the ones who chose what it would be.

You'll note this advice could be given to anyone, not just atheists.

You'll note this advice could be given to anyone, not just atheists.

Yes, I see. I was just curious as to other's opinions specifically on the religious side of a wedding ceremony. Perhaps some overlooked it for their partner who may be christian or some who fought for what they wanted.

Thing is is that in this day and age one can have any theme of wedding they'd like. Get married by a friend who has been ordained a minister via the internet and throw a big party.

Have a look at Rowan Atkinson's "Father of the Bride" speech.  Every time I think of formal weddings and speeches, I remember this sketch.

It's hilarious... but it only works because the audience has no context--they don't know certain things that a real wedding party would.  (Can't elaborate any more without spoiling it.)

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned here is money. Weddings have become extravagantly expensive, and many people get this money from their parents. Even small weddings seem overwhelmingly expensive. Some parents are reasonable and give the money without strings, but others may use it to insert their opinion on what the wedding should be. If you do take money from family to pay for the wedding, make sure that it's clear up front what their involvement in the planning will be, and if it comes with stipulations don't take it or be prepared to give it back when a line is crossed.

The Wedding Industry is the bastard love child of the fashion industry and religion--in other words, it is pure, concentrated EVIL. I'm so glad I'm not a traditional type of person, or I might get sucked into all that insanity. As it is, I'd like to rent a dress (which is economically practical, if you think about it how often a puffy white dress gets worn) or wear something offensively colorful (come on, it's a celebration!) I think I might only buy catering, live music, and time at a space. I don't know if I'd even find it necessary to have a third party marry us.

A third party is unnecessary in Colorado.  I know a couple who had no one there--no one--other than a photographer.  Now that is a private ceremony.

Well you know if all else fails you can always go to the "First Church Of Atheism" and get wedded by an Ordained Atheist minister LOL

http://firstchurchofatheism.com/achievements/

It was incredibly important to me to have no element of religion in my wedding. We hired a big red London bus to take everyone to the registry office in Camberwell, where a v close friend read that passage from Captain Corelli's Mandolin (you know the one). We walked down the aisle to 'You Got The Love' by Candi Staton and then jumped on the bus to a pub in Bankside on the river, for a bbq and drinks.

Compulsory wedding photos (yes, I'm wearing black) -->

http://tinypic.com/r/30j3682/6

http://tinypic.com/r/imjrxd/6

Luckily for us, my mum was really supportive, I was never raised in any religion so it was easy. However if my other dh's family were paying, we would have had to fight for it not to be held in a church, and I probably would have held off until we were financially stable enough to pay for it ourselves. What's a year or two and probably a reduced budget if it means you're not standing there, lying, on your 'special day'?

RSS

Forum

Your kid's friends

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by GTWilco 1 hour ago. 2 Replies

World conflict and problems other than Israel-Palestine.

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 6 hours ago. 54 Replies

Is Anything Worth Saying Anymore?

Started by Ari E. S. in Small Talk. Last reply by Fragile Nokia 15 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service