Disclaimer: Originally posted in the "Movie Review" group, thought I would open it up to everyone.

So I'm looking for movies that have an Atheism or freethinking theme, either overtly or subtly. No documentaries though.

Most Hollywood films seem to have a "Faith will save you" or "You have to believe in something" theme if they deal with religion at all.

The few pro-Atheist or pro-freethinking films I can think of are:

The Invention of Lying (2009)

The Truman Show (1998)

Contact (1997)

Which ones can you think of?

Views: 1703

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Man from Earth (2007) was a really enjoyable one that was definitely pro-atheist.

Also I kept hearing podcasts promoting the new movie "The Ledge" over the summer that had an atheist "hero" but Rotten Tomatoes gave it such a horrible score so I was skeptical about if I should see it... :P

How about The Man Who Fell To Earth?

The first one to come to my mind is The Golden Compass.  I am sure there are more but my brain is just not in top form - will be back with anything else I think of.

I would body-check you on Contact - although there is a little dig at the end about the 15 minutes of static, it's the only homage they pay to the book really - there is an overwhelming turn the atheist into a believer theme

I agree that Contact seems to be very conflicted, or perhaps just an air of "We're all not so different after all".

But it does portray a strong Atheist in overwhelming circumstances, and she does NOT cave or fall to religion. +1 in my book.

True.  I suspect that after writing the screenplay they found they had to water it down because of religious backlash or something.  Overall I enjoyed it.

Ohhh - Titan AE struck me as generally athiestic.

Titan AE FTW.

Such a great, underrated movie

Red State (2011) by Kevin Smith. I guess you can call it pro-Atheist, as it depicts a religious cult family that murders sinners. It certainly isn't pro religion that's for sure. But before you run to Blockbuster let me warn you it is really, really violent and graphic. Which is why I loved it, one of the best movies of the year.

Paul ~ The message is sublime, but effective

The Ledge ~ This is a low budget but well made smart movie.

South Park the movie ~ They are the best at critiquing everything.

Futurama ~ TV series. Makes a lot of fun of the Bible. Watch the 6th season as they were more  open about their agenda in that.

BTW, most Movies & TV shows do not promote religion and usually have the hero making fun of it one way or the other. For example, look at Vin Diesel's character in Pitch Black

Can't believe no one mentioned Dogma, written and directed by Kevin Smith. It starred Chris Rock, Linda Fiorentino, Jeanene Garofalo, Alan Rickman, Alanis Morrissette, Ben Affleck, Matt Damon, Salma Hayek, George Carlin, Jason Lee, and last but not least, Jay (Jason Mewes) and Silent Bob (Kevin Smith)!

One of my favorite (sac)religious movies of all time.

Ohhhh Dogma - I loved that one!!!!  I can't believe I forgot that one too!

What's theistic about The Lord of the Rings? There is no God in The Lord of the Rings.

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 0 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 3 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service