I'm turning 18 tomorrow. I've been waiting for this for a very long time, I really just want to get a tattoo. I want it to be about atheism because it's one of the few things in my life that I know wont change. I'm really starting with nothing here, I have nothing particular in mind, so I'm open to all suggestions. I don't even know if I'm getting a quote, artwork, or otherwise. I'd also like to see others atheist tattoos if you have any. 

That picture is of an amazing tattoo, but I think its a bit much for me, especially for my first tattoo.

Views: 14847

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good idea! The only person I would have to that is my older brother (he's an amazing artsit), who is in the army right now. But he will be here next month, so I will definitely have him do that, well probably a couple of them. Thank godlessness he's an atheist too. 

Oh and thank you!(:

I'm glad you created this post! It's great to see the many tattoos that our members have gotten. I am also considering getting an atheist tattoo but it will definitely take some time to decide on what to get. There are so many options. At one stage I was considering getting a tattoo of the FSM as he is an inspiration to all, it is also amazing to see how many people don't know what it represents.

I personally like the idea of an encoded message that few will understand, the only problem with that is that friends and family will ask what it means and I am a terrible liar so it would force me to confront them with my anti-religious views when most are very religious. I have been able to avoid the confrontation so far.

I think for most people here, atheism is something that will not change throughout their lives so in my opinion a tattoo representing it would always mean something special.

I'm glad I posted this too, I didn't think I was going to get so many responses! It is so difficult to decide on a single tattoo because there are so many great ideas. I have decided I want some sort of smallish image wish a quote to go with it. I really love "Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer". But my Mom says it sounds negative or confrontational, and I don't want it to be either of those things. What do you guys think?

So, aside from tattoo conversation, I would like to say something.

From one side, I would say that you should talk to them and explain your views. I feel it may be the same as my mother: horrified at first, but then ok. I think she has this idea of the "rebellion" stage but if that keeps her at peace of mind so be it. They will love you no matter what.

Then again, that was just my experience, so who knows lol

I'm getting this on my wrist when I turn 18. Small and cute but it gets a point across, so if you wanted to go with something smaller for your first one you can always do a darwin fish of sorts

This is one of the many ones I have in mind. Well without the wrench. I seen a real cute one with a bow on its head. I would want the bow pink though. And a different style of tale, I don't like how long that one side is. I think I'd get this on the back of my neck, like right where my neck meets my back haha. I could easily cover it with my hair, and just put my hair up when I can show it off (:

You can always go the science route with these science related tattoos

I like this as it reads evolve either way
Attachments:

Krystal,

I am 55 and have no tattoo's. I plan on two eventually: one of the earth from the perspective of outer space and the other one will have an atheist message. I am in no hurry though. I want them to be Professionally done. After deciding on a tattoo MAKE SURE the tattoo artist is A #1. That will mean paying more but you'll be happier for the rest of your life if it is technically done at a high level. I have too many friends who have tattoo's and wished they had selected a better artist. Plus working at the state prison as a correctional officer provided me with the opportunity to see many poorly executed tattoos.

Good Luck with your decision!

Wow it must be interesting to work at a state prison. I'm willing to pay as much as it costs, money is not an issue. I have already decided on an artist. Plus, I'm vegan, so I had to find an artist that uses vegan ink. I was really lucky to have found an artist whose art and style I love, and also uses vegan ink. 

"MAKE SURE the tattoo artist is A #1. That will mean paying more but you'll be happier"

^^THAT^^

Be sure, with any artist that you consider, to take a good look at his/her portfolio. There's a guy in my hometown who's been in the business since the 80's. He has a long waiting period and his prices are not cheap, but his work is absolutely astounding and well worth the wait and money. I live 4 hours from there now, but I refuse to go to any local shops here. I will always go to him.

As for tattoo ideas, I would probably get a quote or something, just because that's my personal style (my next tattoo is actually sheet music with lyrics). One really good Atheist quote that I like is this:

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service