I'm turning 18 tomorrow. I've been waiting for this for a very long time, I really just want to get a tattoo. I want it to be about atheism because it's one of the few things in my life that I know wont change. I'm really starting with nothing here, I have nothing particular in mind, so I'm open to all suggestions. I don't even know if I'm getting a quote, artwork, or otherwise. I'd also like to see others atheist tattoos if you have any. 

That picture is of an amazing tattoo, but I think its a bit much for me, especially for my first tattoo.

Views: 15021

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really? Lol I love your tattoo! How did you think of something so unique and beautiful?! 

Oh and happy birthday, kiddo!

Thank you! :D

Sorry to sound dumb, but I am not bilingual AT ALL, what language is that?

Latin, I don't think (m)any people are bilingual in it!

In Europe at least mostly church folk in an ironic twist.

Mine is on my right shoulder. It's a crude "jailhouse style" tattoo of my (now ex) wife's name. I had sworn before that I'd never get a tattoo. It was a very strange night....

Given the reasons for not having a tattoo (potential impediment to landing a job, tattoo regret, etc.), I wonder why people feel such an overwhelming need to have one.

It's an issue of personal vanity or sentimentality - not need. While difficult to do so, it's not an irrevocable decision. And if properly placed, is not an impediment. The tattoo of my ex I still like. We are still good friends and I care about her. No harm. And it's in a place where it is normally covered by a shirt so no harm there as far as jobs - and the message is one that is non-offensive. 

Obviously, I'm talking about the people who have tattoos that can't be ignored.

Thanks for the clarification. I was mostly responding to the final part of your question "...I wonder why people feel such an overwhelming need to have one." 

In my opinion, it doesn't come from a need, more of a desire.  I, for one, have tattoos that aren't able to be covered.  The way the world is shaping up, there's no need to fear discrimination.  Fortunately for me, I work in a field where it's accepted entirely to be tattooed. I look forward to the day that it's socially acceptable to be tattooed in the workplace, and obviously offensive material need not apply. There's no need for hatred to be displayed, ever.

But to clarify what I mean by desire for me personally, I'm not too big on material possessions.  I carry what is most important to me on my skin, and quite frankly, they tend to work in my favor.  It's a great way to weed out individuals I'd rather not associate with to begin with.

RSS

Blog Posts

coexist

Posted by aubrey knows nothing * on October 23, 2014 at 9:25pm 1 Comment

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 7 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service