I'm turning 18 tomorrow. I've been waiting for this for a very long time, I really just want to get a tattoo. I want it to be about atheism because it's one of the few things in my life that I know wont change. I'm really starting with nothing here, I have nothing particular in mind, so I'm open to all suggestions. I don't even know if I'm getting a quote, artwork, or otherwise. I'd also like to see others atheist tattoos if you have any. 

That picture is of an amazing tattoo, but I think its a bit much for me, especially for my first tattoo.

Views: 14692

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How about a line from John Lennon's "Imagine". It's a little subtler than an atheist quote. Something like "Imagine there's no heaven".

There's also this one (though it's not very pretty):

Sadly, TattooFinder returns 0 results for "atheist" yet has entire categories for "religious" and "praying hands" and so forth. :( Makes me a little ill, especially after their having been a source for the designs of my gay-themed tattoos.

No, do not do it. Your body is not a billboard, if you are going to stain yourself it should be with something hand drawn, unique and in a coverable spot. Do you really want to debate and explain your tat. for the rest of your life?

Yes, I do.

Before I say anything, please don't think that I'm trying to be rude. It is her choice to do with her body whatever her heart desires. Also, I can't really help but take your 'billboard' and 'stain' comments as slightly insulting. Typically, when a person desires to have a tattoo done, it has personal meaning to it that applies only to the person getting the tattoo. Something they feel very passionate about or a heart-felt memory, such as a memorial to a special person.

If it's personal, then put it where the general public don't see it. If you put it where it can't be ignored, isn't it kind of like getting on a bus with blaring boombox?

I feel like I should be able to display my beliefs on my body wherever I'd like. Just like Christians and others can put their crosses, stars of David, and other religious symbols on their body in plain sight without being criticized or ridiculed. I am not going to let them win and make me feel like I have to "hide" my atheism just because they don't agree with it or they aren't comfortable with it. 

I do feel the same way about Christian paraphernalia and declarations like tattoos, but as with tattoos, they are free to put them in my face. We live in a free country,

I found some of the things he said insulting as well. It's okay though, I understand that some people just don't like or agree with getting tattoos, and that's okay... It's not like I'm getting the tattoo to impress them or anything. 

If being an atheist is such a major part of who you are then go for it. I think that any written message tattoo no matter how clever will get played out in time. If you don't want to hear don't don't ask "do or don't". Where you take insult is beyond me.

I do feel it's a big part of my life. I understand that was just your opinion, and that's what I was asking for, so really, I shouldn't be insulted, so I take back what I said. My apologies (:

I know one who has the following tattooet:

IMAGINE

RELIGION  

Where N in imagine and O in religion is colored red and the rest is black and all letters is spaced so it the colored NO is aligned horisontal so it actually says Imagine no religion - like this T-shirt  

cafepress - Imagine No Religion

I think it is awesome.

Personally I am getting one from my left scapular to my left wrist of two snakes twisting around the arm and ending with a red gem in their mouth whit the atheist A in the middle - a girlfriend is drawing it  

RSS

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service