I've been itching to get a new tattoo. I want one that says HEY! I THINK ATHEIST! (and so should you) without saying it in quite so many words. I have a bunch of symbols running down my spine, so I thought a nice atheist symbol could rest right on top of the row.
So.
Any ideas? If you have an atheist tattoo, I'd love to hear about it / them!
I'll go out as soon as I find the right idea and sketch it out!
Thanks, guys =]

Ps- One of my friends got "Not" and "Saved" tattooed to his kneecaps. It looks amazing. It's much more masculine than something I would get (you know, as a girl). I love the idea of getting that, but at the same time I think it points to needing to be saved. But what are your thoughts?

Tags: tatoto

Views: 41771

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haha that's pretty sweet, but it wouldn't fit on my back =/
Me likey!
I like symbolic tattoos myself. I have a bit of western tribal on my leg around a gutted mutant fish that runs down my calf, but that was just for fun. Tribal looks good, but usually has little or no meaning.

I have a large open circle tattoo on my chest. It's part of my quarter sleeve which is full of symbols that I feel represent me. The thick open circle has been considered an atheist symbol by some. I don't really think of it as an atheist symbol, though. To me it stands for open mindedness and the infinite. I like the completeness of the circle.

Honestly, when it comes to atheism, there really aren't any symbols that necessarily describe us. And this I think is a good thing. We atheists have a plethora of viewpoints and backgrounds. I don't think we can necessarily sum ourselves in one symbol. If you're looking for a symbol that represents your views of the universe, then I would suggest thinking about what those views are and how you might translate those into a singular symbol.

If you're looking for something specifically atheist in nature, then I would suggest some text of a quote that you feel strongly about.
I know there is a lack of atheist symbols out there. I'm not a fan of the big "A" because I want something that clearly states my beliefs. I was thinking along the lines of a symbols because I could put it on my back with my other tattoos, but I'm open to other things as well.

As for my favorite Atheist quote, well, there are so many. On a broader term I like "You can't have your faith and reason, too." I would love to get a quote, but I don't think I'm settled enough on any one quote to put it on my skin.

And as for my beliefs about the universe, I'm more of a crazy random happenstance kind of gal. And evolution, of course.

If my tattoo ends up being a scientific symbols or series of numbers (I already have the golden ratio tattooed on my back), some ancient symbol (I have the eyes of Horus for balance already), or something else completely, that's fine. I want something that says I've come to terms with my atheism. I don't nor will I ever need the crutch that is religion. And that is something that will never change.

My best friend says to go with the ever classic upside-down cross. Too obnoxious?
Does someone know what religious symbols the F, O and N are? Also, why a yin and yang symbol here? Isn't that more philosophical then religious?

The 'F' is a rendition of the Christian cross. The 'O' is Buddhist dharma wheel. The 'N' is the Hindu aum symbol. And the yin and yang is actually derived from Taoism, which is a form of religion, although a lot of people use the meaning of the symbol as more of a philosophical mindset.

Hope this helps.

That is cool. It could be done horizontally to look like some sort of Chinese script, but if you turn your head either way it says atheist.
this is awesome! maybe my next one!

excellent, but how do i print that off?

Here is my tattoo; it's the American Atheist logo without the 'A' in the middle. I don't like words on me, either.
http://www.thinkatheist.com/profile/KristenPowell

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 5 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 6 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service