During this time of oversaturation of Jesus tunes, I thought I would ask if anyone knows some good atheist/anti-religious songs. Rush is one of my fav bands and they have several. Here are the lyrics to one of their latest, "Brought Up to Believe".

I was brought up to believe
The universe has a plan
We are only human
It’s not ours to understand
The universe has a plan
All is for the best
Some will be rewarded
And the devil take the rest
All is for the best
Believe in what we’re told
Blind men in the market
Buying what we’re sold
Believe in what we’re told
Until our final breath
While our loving Watchmaker
Loves us all to death
In a world of cut and thrust
I was always taught to trust
In a world where all must fail
Heaven’s justice will prevail
The joy and pain that we receive
Each comes with its own cost
The price of what we’re winning
Is the same as what we’ve lost
Until our final breath
The joy and pain that we receive
Must be what we deserve
I was brought up to believe

Tags: Music

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok, and that's my cue to chime in. I'm a musician, an ex-Christian, a former worship pastor. Christ was my life; he was everything to me, but that all came crumbling down this past year in the face of reason and evidence to the contrary. I haven't been able to write any music since then, because music was always my way of worshiping. I'm planning to make another go for it after I recover from the emotional trauma of realizing your most cherished friend is just a myth. It takes a long time to really let go. I'm just curious if you guys think there is any "demand" for music that deals with... shall we say... reality?? Music that deals with losing faith, losing friends, losing everything you held dear. That's what I'll be writing about (hopefully) this coming year.
I've lost friends in a similar way. But I don't want to hear too many songs about what I lost. Play me something about being honest to yourself and the people around you about what you think to be true. Get excited about continuing on the path to what your mind is telling you is correct.

I wonder how many people feel like they can't "come out" because of the pressure from society. You could sing about how fortunate you are that YOU gave yourself the strength to stand up.

This is awesome. I'm so happy for you, that you were able to finalize realize, to see through it all, and stand up for your right to THINK! :] I'm a musician as well (bassist) and used to be a Catholic, and before that, I was Jewish. But I am very curious, since you were intertwined with Christianity your entire life (you even became a minister)... most people that I know that are like this are "so far gone" that they cannot think for themselves anymore. So, I'm curious... what gave you the strength to change????

Please write music! I myself am a musician, but I don't compose. Too scared to I guess. Write about the beauty of the universe, the fact that we don't know everything and that's ok, about how hard it can be to be the reasonable ones. Don't forget that not all music needs words either.

If you want/need a string part, please let me know!! I would be more than happy to contribute to atheist-related music. I've found some religious music (really only Bach, and then just instrumentals) to be really deeply moving, and I would love to experience the same thing with atheist-related music. If you ever want to talk some music, feel free to contact me!

Absolutely! I posted this as my reply, but one of my husband's favorite musicians (and now moving up my list) is David Bazan, formerly of Pedro the Lion. He used to tour the praise music circuit, and has played the Cornerstone Festival.  His album, Curse Your Branches, has some pretty heavy stuff about how he is dealing with his grief over losing (as you put it) his most cherished friend and his heavy drinking after losing his religion. I think that message really resonates with a lot of people.

Do you know of any other music like this? I'm always up for new music! 95% of my collection is what most people call classical music, but if the band is good, I've got no problem adding it to my library!

If you enjoy rock music and you're looking for critical thinking, anti-mysticism style lyrics, then Rush is an excellent start.  Here is another from them, "Faithless"

I've got my own moral compass to steer by
A guiding star beats a spirit in the sky
And all the preaching voices -
Empty vessels of dreams so loud
As they move among the crowd
Fools and thieves are well disguised
In the temple and market place

Like a stone in the river
Against the floods of spring
I will quietly resist

Like the willows in the wind
Or the cliffs along the ocean
I will quietly resist

I don't have faith in faith
I don't believe in belief
You can call me faithless
I still cling to hope
And I believe in love
And that's faith enough for me

I've got my own spirit level for balance
To tell if my choice is leaning up or down
And all the shouting voices
Try to throw me off my course
Some by sermon, some by force
Fools and thieves are dangerous
In the temple and market place

Like a forest bows to winter
Beneath the deep white silence
I will quietly resist

Like a flower in the desert
That only blooms at night
I will quietly resist

the line about the fools and thieves is of course very true, but even believers will say it.  "Oh of course there are many charlatans masking as holy people".  Sadly they miss the point the whole ball of wax is made of snake oil, not just the bible toting pudgy bouffant haired obnoxious white guys on TV on Sunday mornings.

John Lennon - God

John Lennon - Imagine

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Shallow Be Thy Game

There is also a group on Think Atheist called Atheist Music. And I think there was another discussion about this (I can't find it right now) where a lot of songs were recommended.

Anythng by Bad Religion. In Fuck Armagedon this is Hell:

The process of belief is an elixir when your weak

at timesI confess I indulge it on the sneak

but generally my outlooks not so bleak

Im a materialist Im not a deist

Greg Gaffin the singer has actually written several books on evolution and Atheism

David Bazan's entire Curse Your Branches album. I can't recommend it enough. One reviewer described it as a breakup record with god.

Nine Inch Nails comes to mind.  John Lennon (love "Imagine"!).  I think there's a lot of godless rock out there.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 13 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service