Hey atheists,

Here is a little thing that I've always been wondering about.

The use of profanity, being atheist or religious alike, has always been seen as impolite.

Yet, a study seems to have shown that the use of profanity lowers stress and boosts morale. (If God should exist then he has a twisted sense of humour, doesn't he?) So yes, I profess to profanity and I am certain that I am not alone.

So here is my question on this. Assuming you just stubbed your little toe on the bed with unsettling force;

Do you use profanity and, if you use it, how do you use it? Do you reference God in it or do you stay clear of blasphemy?

For example, a very Christian lieutenant I once knew wouldn't swear but he'd freely call out Gordon Bennet's name every time he stubbed his toe.

An atheist I heard speaking on the radio said not to use profanity involving god references just because they do not believe in god.

I try to be creative but old habits are hard to beat and I will occasionally use the good old OMG! or JMFC! still.

Your opinions please?

Tags: profanity

Views: 927

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nope.  He had to run the dinner back to his hotel.

Absolute fan of potty 'mouthness' when one stubbs ones toe efity efity ef ef my efin toe then I laugh, works a treat don't take my word for it , try it next time you hurt something on your person!

Usually makes those around me laugh as well , maybe that's where the lowering stress boosting moral part fits in lol .

Of course there's appropriate  time and place for profanity and injured body parts are one of  those times  for me!

Maybe because I'm Australian and we are so laid back but i've never had a bad reaction to using profanities in context.

I have however had reactions to using the big for  G's sake  when apparently it's inappropriate, I inherited the term from religious parents never believed in it myself a single day in my life so it's neither here nor there to me I liken it to saying for Unicorns sake , to me God nor Unicorns can object so until they do i shall say it if i like  .....

Attachments:

My spoken profanity is pretty much confined to blurting out obscenities when I am all alone.  I call it my “controlled Tourette’s,” and I have no idea why I do it.  I occasionally use mild profanity in writing, but I consider audible, public expressions of it to be very rude and purile.

I do recall, back in 1960, saying “F&&k You! to a girl friend.  I didn’t mean it literally, but I recall that I did make my point.   

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 9 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com