Hey atheists,

Here is a little thing that I've always been wondering about.

The use of profanity, being atheist or religious alike, has always been seen as impolite.

Yet, a study seems to have shown that the use of profanity lowers stress and boosts morale. (If God should exist then he has a twisted sense of humour, doesn't he?) So yes, I profess to profanity and I am certain that I am not alone.

So here is my question on this. Assuming you just stubbed your little toe on the bed with unsettling force;

Do you use profanity and, if you use it, how do you use it? Do you reference God in it or do you stay clear of blasphemy?

For example, a very Christian lieutenant I once knew wouldn't swear but he'd freely call out Gordon Bennet's name every time he stubbed his toe.

An atheist I heard speaking on the radio said not to use profanity involving god references just because they do not believe in god.

I try to be creative but old habits are hard to beat and I will occasionally use the good old OMG! or JMFC! still.

Your opinions please?

Tags: profanity

Views: 949

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's interesting that kids have a vocabulary that includes "fuck", "shit" and "asshole" that they won't use around adults except in whispers.  And adults have a vocabulary that includes "fuck", "shit", and "asshole" that they won't use around kids except in whispers.  The interesting part is that they're the same vocabularies.

Do you remember when you first used "Fuck" in front of your parents?  Not nearly as mortifying as hearing one of your parents say "Fuck" (especially if it's used as a verb and not an interjection).

I use profanity for engagement, emphasis, contrast, tension and release. I never use naughty anatomical words, scatological slang in the juvenile sense or sexual verbs when I am actually speaking about body parts or sex. I almost always use proper nouns for parts and euphamisms for sexual intercourse. I have an 'Oh my god' crutch, but of course it is when I am looking at something incredible or incredulous, much in line with the concept of god, even though he isn't 'mine' and I put no stock in him.

Nor do I take any offense at all if my 16 or 17 year olds use similar language. But there would be serious issues if I heard the N-word or other hateful words in conversation. Thankfully that have never come up.

BTW, my favorite is 'shitfuck' which I believe I read in a book the first time when I was a kid, it may have been 'North Dallas Forty' but I could be wrong.

The question is why are you asking such a shitty fucking question you bastard?

I have an 'Oh my god' crutch

That just cracked me up because I read it as 'crotch', and the even the context was appropriate, if utterly contradictory to the rest of that paragraph.

Bloody hell! is one of my top expressions, and I don't think it even counts as swearing in the UK.

I swear for emphasis when I feel like it. I don't swear when I'm angry, I just enunciate clearly.

Apparently "bloody hell!" does count; this Australian tourism ad got banned from UK TV on account of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn0lwGk4u9o&feature=player_embedded

Years ago, someone told me that "bloody" was a pretty serious epithet in England. Not to be used lightly.

Just in time this little tweet shows up. I really don't think Americans know how to protest. Sure we have the right to assemble, which of course we know is arguable. And, perhaps I am biased to topless women dressed as nuns with 'Fuck Church' emblazoned across their chests.

But, at the end of the day this proves that we are rank amateurs when it comes to communicating to the world what we are upset about.

http://www.france24.com/en/20121118-anti-gay-marriage-protesters-cl...

And, they get the crap kicked out of them for doing so.
Goddammit! is still my favorite, but I don't recognize the term, "blasphemy."
I agree with you Sarah, profanity overused is not only reflective of a limited vocabulary, but quickly loses its effectiveness.

I'm an atheist. I take pleasure in taking their god's name in vain!

My opinion: One has to hold something sacred to consider anything profane. I don't consider anything I say to be profane. I'm sure others would.

Favorite one I've ever heard is "Christ on a Crutch."

"Christ on a cracker" is amusing too.

I came from a family where profanity was used only sparingly. If one uses profanity to excess, the content of the out burst seems to drop off. If you can't make a well formed sentence, but still indulge in vocalizations, atleast do the rest of us a favor by allowing us to sympathize. Decribe your target, subject, encode the action by verbs, and direct the out burst by clear enunciation.

Example:

"You, G-- D--- SOB piece of electronic offall, how dare you s---, die in the middle of of my perfectly good matrix inversion!" This is only a little over the top, delete 's---', and 'G--', then it only seems off color!    

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 4 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 8 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service