Hey atheists,

Here is a little thing that I've always been wondering about.

The use of profanity, being atheist or religious alike, has always been seen as impolite.

Yet, a study seems to have shown that the use of profanity lowers stress and boosts morale. (If God should exist then he has a twisted sense of humour, doesn't he?) So yes, I profess to profanity and I am certain that I am not alone.

So here is my question on this. Assuming you just stubbed your little toe on the bed with unsettling force;

Do you use profanity and, if you use it, how do you use it? Do you reference God in it or do you stay clear of blasphemy?

For example, a very Christian lieutenant I once knew wouldn't swear but he'd freely call out Gordon Bennet's name every time he stubbed his toe.

An atheist I heard speaking on the radio said not to use profanity involving god references just because they do not believe in god.

I try to be creative but old habits are hard to beat and I will occasionally use the good old OMG! or JMFC! still.

Your opinions please?

Tags: profanity

Views: 927

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Using a deities name is always in vain, they don't exist therefore they can't hear you therefore a vain use of air.

LOL I read so be it as, so mote it be

Since such a fun topic has already been resurrected...

Let me start by saying, I don't personally speak Hungarian, so I can't verify this, but I heard it first hand from speaker whom I have no reason to doubt.

Apparently, possibly do to word endings, or some such, it's possible to intentionally obscure the subject and object in a sentence. 

So, a nice choice bit of vulgarity such as "God fuck you with a bull," gains extra punch since it can also be taken to mean, "You fuck god with a bull."  If so, this has to be one of my favs of all time.

I just wish I could use it.  Sadly, it's no fun if they can't understand ya at all, and English doesn't allow that trick to be used effectively.

You could say "Go fuck yourself with a bulls dick" that would americanise it I think

I had this SUPER Christian boss this one time, and instead of saying Son of a Bitch, he would always say Son of a sailor.  I thought that was pretty fucking funny!  I too say OMG and JFHC a lot old habits die hard.

I've heard "son of a biscuit eater" and "son of a monkey".  I even knew atheists who used the latter around their children... and I picked up the habit from them.  My brother made up "son of a badger pup"

And of course in the movie Johnny Dangerously there were words like Bastich and Samnibatch.

Son of a hairy old pedophile :)

Funny. Dad, who is now elderly, resisted saying profanities. If he hit his finger while driving a nail or stubbed his toe he'd say "Son of a pup!" I was thinking that the only time I heard him drop the f-bomb was recently when he was wading through a deep telephone menu system, was kept on hold for a half hour, and then was dropped. An old man with gout and arthritis and he wastes a half of an hour with a phone to his ear.

John Cleese, demonstrating how to remain calm...

Did the car start?

No, grin.

If you need someone to model 'calmness', Cleese might be a disapointing example. If I wanted to make an example of a 'bad' car, I think a small tree limb would hardly due!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 9 minutes ago. 3 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.