Fox News (.com) ran an article yesterday about a new phenomena taking place across parts of Europe, and now in the U.S., that involves atheists in larger metropolitan areas getting together for music, reflection, and inspirational talk. Some may say that this all smacks of the same trappings used by organized religion in the form of ritual and imagery. Others say that it serves to tear down the walls of false perceptions that atheists are evil and untrustworthy. The group in L.A. also took donations for community service projects planned in the near future. I believe it is a good thing to positively promote the atheist movement but I also want to avoid any misconceptions that result from these types of services. It is an interesting development nonetheless and I hope it serves as an indication that our culture is finally moving forward and away from the handcuffing philosophy of religion. 

article link: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/11/atheist-mega-churches-taking-r...

Are these mega-gatherings to be applauded or looked at with suspicion? Your thoughts....

Tags: Fox, News, mega-churches

Views: 831

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am having a meeting in the local bar for anyone that does not believe that there are fairies at the end of their gardens. We won’t be discussing our lack of belief in fairies but any other topic under the sun is fine. However you must not believe in fairies in order to attend. So even though we won’t mention “f*****s” or care how militant anyone’s disbelief in them is, we would like to be known as people who meet up because of our lack of belief in them. It is important that everyone who does believe in fairies knows we are meeting as non-believers in them. It is important that even though we don’t believe what they believe, that they label it a meeting of unbelievers rather than a meeting of people that are interested in other things. In fact I think my local French speakers club should from now on be known as the “Church of non-Greek speakers”. I suppose it is important to Faux News as to which gods attendees don’t believe in. They should do a poll outside to find out. It would tell us so much about those that do attend.

As a new member to this site it would have at the very least been polite to post this fox news story in reply the thread I had already started yesterday on the same subject.

It's all in the title.

I didn't see your thread Candide. Sorry.

I concur wholeheartedly with Belle Rose!

Maybe it's just a bunch of lapsed Christians who've decided to come over to the 'Dark Side' but miss the 'Fellowship' they had in their Church. Guess they're looking to bond with like-minded individuals. I feel that creating a formal 'Church' or organization would just be starting a vicious cycle over again. I for one, would not be interested in joining.

Formalizing such a movement would mean a hierarchy of some sort. Which would, inevitably, lead to some sort of elitism, and open the door to the same corruption and power abuse rampant in Churches, Politics, or any other organization where certain people will be empowered to dictate to everyone else how they should be living their lives.

How long will it be before they start sending out 'Missionaries' and trying to 'convert' Theists?

The root of evil, money, is already sticking it's head out. Looks like someone may already be trying to capitalize on the concept, no matter how noble the stated object.

Personally, I'm leery of making 'donations' through any organization  because, you can bet your boots, most of it will be siphoned off in the guise of 'administration costs' and 'staff salaries' (only for the big shots, of course, anyone else will be expected to be unpaid 'volunteers'), and only a small portion of any donation made will actually reach the intended recipient.

Bingo!

It's organized; the very thing I, as an atheist, don't want any part of. What's next? Rituals? Mandatory attendance? Mandatory service? Who's leading this ragtag group of 400? Nah, count me out. This site is as close as I'll get to conversing with like minded individuals.

"most of it will be siphoned off in the guise of 'administration costs' and 'staff salaries' (only for the big shots, of course, anyone else will be expected to be unpaid 'volunteers'), and only a small portion of any donation made will actually reach the intended recipient."

Kind of sounds like you are describing a typical charity, at least most of them.

I guess in some way, some of the more committed atheist folks are that part of that 'missionary' shock troops.

I am in broad agreement with the majority here in finding such groups inherently suspicious and cult-like. Even its two leaders make my skin crawl as any cult leaders would. Yet on the other side there is the "congregation" most of whom I am sure attend for perfectly legitimate participation in a group activity free of dogmatic prescriptions. For them there is the opportunity to meet new friends, prospect for partners in a safe alcohol free environment and I suspect those are the main reasons they attend. There are after all fewer and fewer places where people can come together with that in mind. As someone else said above I may even seek a similar group local to me with the express purpose of  finding someone willing to put up with all my myriad bad habits :)

I would rather join a 'Atheist Coffee and Cake Society'. At such a meeting we greet each other as 'mate', and start off each meeting with rousing game of 'Chinese Cheakers', followed by a laugh track to Benny Hinn... 

I kinda like that idea myself :)

If the group is mostly guys, we could give 'Survival Cooking' classes.

We could design special head pieces so we will never be confused with Theists, sadly I am at a lose as to their design..;p).

Forehead tatoo? Not a chance in hell....;p) 

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 25 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service