I’ve realised I prefer not to call myself an atheist. It seems like strange word. A word for something you don’t believe in. I don’t believe in unicorns but there’s no word for that, or pretty much anything else I don’t believe in. 

Instead of calling myself an atheist I’d rather call myself a person of reason. 

Plus what hits harder when someone asks if you believe in god, replying "No, I'm an atheist." OR "No. I'm a man/woman of reason".

(Though I do realise 'atheist' is a little sexier and easier to google.)

Views: 923

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with anti-theist... but we're only a small subset of atheists at large. As for non-theist or atheist, they're exactly the same thing IMO.

If being 'x' is the norm, it is useful to have a term which specifies 'not x'. Personally, I don't think it is more complicated than that.

But if you've found something that works better for you, all the best to you. 'Man of reason' doesn't work for me, personally, because I plan to one day melt down and go insane in the grocery store. I'm not quite sure exactly when, but it is definitely going to be in the grocery store.  After that happens, I'll just be a 'Man of...' and that's not a very compelling term. 

Funniest thing I've read in this discusion. Mainly because I relate. 

I don't care for the connotations of the word atheist, though it's technically the most accurate definition of my stance on deities. The simple phrase "I'm not religious" is the most useful and least provocative way I've found to describe myself in most everyday circumstances.

It has it's limitations, though. I've had very religious people tell me that they're "not religious" either; among believers nowadays, it's somewhat fashionable to say that you disavow the "man-made" religion while still believing in God, or that you're a "follower of Jesus" or some such nonsense. In that case, if they push it, you have to draw a clearer line sometimes.

If I'm asked directly if I believe in God, though I don't think I really ever have been asked, I'd have to answer a simple "No," and just leave it at that. I don't feel the need to offer an alternative.

I always make it clear that I prefer anti-theist, and the difference between the two words

When asked why I do not believe in any god/gods, I usually reply that i do not have any imaginary friends.

Danielle

Same here, no imaginary friends, and no imaginary truths :)

Do theists place as a reference on their resumes, 'Imaginary Friends'. I expect some would 'know' more of the imaginary variety and anything/anyone that was real. If this would happen, it might the rest of us look good!

The difference is like going into a gunfight with a .44 Magnum as opposed to a b-b gun.

Every time I try explaining myself to a Theist, they just start bleeding out of their nose...

...I gotta stop doing that. :D

Kris F., you came close.

Dan, aka man of reason: are there any times in your life that "man of emotion" describes you more accurately?

Rene Descartes didn't feel; he only half was.

Best video answer I've ever seen to this question, in the initial portion, the next portion are good arguments against religiously pushed procreation.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Forum

Christian to Atheist. My Testimony.

Started by Toby Briggs in Welcome to Think Atheist. Last reply by captain kingsway 40 minutes ago. 1 Reply

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service