Hey folks! I'm new to this website, and I'm hoping for a wonderful time with what I hope is a wonderful community.

I thought I'd post a topic of interest to me that might have already been discussed before: what holidays should we celebrate that doesn't revolve around arbitrary declarations? I think we should celebrate the solstices and the equinoxes, except our version of "Christmas" should occur during the vernal equinox: the best time to give gifts we can use not just inside, but outside as well!

Post if you're interested. ^_^

Views: 72

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't celebrate any holidays. But I say Merry Christmas to people I come in contact with no matter what holiday it is. I figure that Xmas is the end goal, the penultimate holiday that all others lead to, so why not just lump 'em all together.

I think the only holidays that make sense are holidays that are connected to the advancement of reason, critical thinking and science.

Solstice has a history rooted in paganism and mysticism so I just don't see a reason to adopt these holidays and try to rebrand them.

Perhaps a celebration of Darwin's birthday, or the date released "On The Origin Of Species".

I think there are many other very important dates that may be appropriate consider.

Anyone else have ideas? 

As atheists, we can celebrate whatever we want, whenever we want!  Happy May 30th!
Stephen Hawking's birthday, George Carlin's birthday (just passed!), ummm... my birthday! Juneteenth day... the day slaves were finally freed in the U.S. or how about Left Hander's day! I'm a leftie :)

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Devlin Cuite 12 minutes ago. 143 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.