Sorry if this discussion is duplicated.

I, as most of you, am atheist, but find myself saying thinks like "Oh my god!".  I recently saw Monsters vs Aliens, and found very funny Dr. Cockroach Ph.D when he exclaims

"By Hawking's chair!"

I find that is a very good atheist exclamation (even more that Dr. Cockroach is voiced by Hugh Laurie) and decided to think other possible atheist/scientific exclamations, like:

"By Darwin's beard!"

"By Sagan's eyebrows!" or maybe "By Sagan's turtleneck!"

And these I don't like so much, since sound kind of religious:

"Good Science!" / "Oh my Science!" / "Science help us!"

I may not use this a lot on real talk, but I have used a couple online, on tweets and Facebook, and I like them.

Do any of you use something similar? Can you think of any other exclamation?

Views: 554

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yep, force of habit. I still go oh my god 'til now. But then many others go, Jeezzhus Christ without really meaning the big JC. they even go 'oh my f*ckng god!' or 'f*ckng christ! I forgot!'  Lately, I've slipped into

'oh your god' and 'oh their god' and using OYG! Hahaha!

I like Will Ferrel's "Great Neptune's Beard!" and "Great Odin's Raven!" from Anchorman.

Not exactly an atheistic proclamation, but one I use on a regular basis, and have done for.. 25 (eek!) years, is Holy Belgium.. thanks Douglas Adams for searing that one into my brain and vocabulary!
I have been using "Good googly moogly" for some time now, it makes me giggle when I say it too. Simply "GD" which for me has been "Great Damn". One one my personal favorites, "Good Sputnik Alive".
Good googly moogly is impossible to say without giggling.
Personally, I don't think it matters if we Atheists use "god" in our swears.  I don't believe in Thor either, but I still use the word Thursday...My personal favorite...JESUS COCKSUCKING CHRIST ON A MOPED!!!
Sometimes I say Jesus H(erbert) W(alker) Christ! It mocks religion and neocons at the same time!

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 0 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 3 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service