Sorry if this discussion is duplicated.

I, as most of you, am atheist, but find myself saying thinks like "Oh my god!".  I recently saw Monsters vs Aliens, and found very funny Dr. Cockroach Ph.D when he exclaims

"By Hawking's chair!"

I find that is a very good atheist exclamation (even more that Dr. Cockroach is voiced by Hugh Laurie) and decided to think other possible atheist/scientific exclamations, like:

"By Darwin's beard!"

"By Sagan's eyebrows!" or maybe "By Sagan's turtleneck!"

And these I don't like so much, since sound kind of religious:

"Good Science!" / "Oh my Science!" / "Science help us!"

I may not use this a lot on real talk, but I have used a couple online, on tweets and Facebook, and I like them.

Do any of you use something similar? Can you think of any other exclamation?

Views: 554

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yep, force of habit. I still go oh my god 'til now. But then many others go, Jeezzhus Christ without really meaning the big JC. they even go 'oh my f*ckng god!' or 'f*ckng christ! I forgot!'  Lately, I've slipped into

'oh your god' and 'oh their god' and using OYG! Hahaha!

I like Will Ferrel's "Great Neptune's Beard!" and "Great Odin's Raven!" from Anchorman.

Not exactly an atheistic proclamation, but one I use on a regular basis, and have done for.. 25 (eek!) years, is Holy Belgium.. thanks Douglas Adams for searing that one into my brain and vocabulary!
I have been using "Good googly moogly" for some time now, it makes me giggle when I say it too. Simply "GD" which for me has been "Great Damn". One one my personal favorites, "Good Sputnik Alive".
Good googly moogly is impossible to say without giggling.
Personally, I don't think it matters if we Atheists use "god" in our swears.  I don't believe in Thor either, but I still use the word Thursday...My personal favorite...JESUS COCKSUCKING CHRIST ON A MOPED!!!
Sometimes I say Jesus H(erbert) W(alker) Christ! It mocks religion and neocons at the same time!

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 5 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service