I feel there is a new cult religion on the rise, and  it may be some sort of demented warped version of a disbelief made to fit an idea. I was reading this article, and many people had the same concerns as me

"What happens in a Atheist Church"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21319945

There is a concern among some non-believers that atheism is developing into a religion in its own right, with its own code of ethics and self-appointed high priest

"It will become an organised religion. It's inevitable. A belief system will set in. There will be a structure, an ethical outlook on life," says architect Robbie Harris.

I understand people like to come together in a common cause or value, but congregating and having sunday meetings is a completely different thing. Things like this really anger me, because this is exactly the opposite being a free rational thinker or skeptic. Other than being an Atheist, we are all independent of our actions and thoughts, we are all our own individual self. We are not connected in any eternal bondage or any of that other nonsensical ideologies.

This is exactly how cults and religion start. It may start out as a harmless thing, but eventually someone will come and try to brainwash and manipulate others to follow that individual as some sort of demi god leader. I just doon't understand why some Atheists or free thinkers or rational thinkers feel the need to give atheism religious characteristics

I would like to hear your opinions on this matter.

Views: 682

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have visited some less popular areas such as Grenada, W.I.. Woke up early, stumbled into a beach-side pub looking for some "johnny cakes" about 8AM and yep, I found three leather-skinned Brits with stouts and one says "hey yank, they call me "doggie", where ya from, mate?"

I oppose such a concept, which is one of the MANY reasons why I have never checked into TA's Nelson's weakly Sunday Service.

Sorry, Blaine, I was worshiping at the feet of my statue of Unseen, which, admittedly, I couldn't see - but I'm back now --

Good way to avoid taxes i guess lol

Just file as a 501c3, then you can hire only atheists for the office, due to your 'religious' classification, and collect moneys for that special fellowship boat you have your eye on. Hire theists for the cabin help, and preach at them for a change....LOL 

The very idea of an atheist church is dangerous. As is the suggestion of atheism being a religion in it's own right. It is important to keep our "lack of belief" as a focal point, no more - no less. Having said that it seems many of us (atheists) are inclined to support the tenets  of secular humanism. But I believe associations with philosophical/humanistic ideas are not necessary or warranted. Those concepts have merit and value but really nothing to do with the definition of atheism. Having said that, I do wish there was more cohesiveness among atheists throughout the world. Our numbers could be a force to be reckoned with if we managed to become remotely unified. Organizations like the FFRF are effective and important, no doubt, but joining together on a worldwide scale could possibly facilitate a speedier disintegration of organized religion. As it is now there are thousands of organizations and websites that support the atheist message but I believe our lack of global unification makes the struggle with religion less effective and lengthy. I realize that many atheists are unwilling to make a commitment to action and have no desire to be vocal and outspoken in a public forum. I cannot fault them for that necessarily. But to me, personally, the scourge of religion is so detrimental to our civilization that joining forces globally is so important. Technological innovation in modern warfare has made the need all the more pressing. Theism will destroy our planet or make areas of it uninhabitable if we in the secular world fail to keep the voice of reason heard.

I might support an atheist coffee shop, tavern, restaurant, nudist beach, wine tasting, cheese sampling, but church? Pay the damn taxes, our keep your deductions high!

A high-end atheist call girl service? Hmmm

The Church has strippers and stand up comedians as well as rock music and alcohol - it's one big party. 

Mockery trivialises religion in a way little else can match.

"eventually someone will come and try to brainwash and manipulate others to follow that individual as some sort of demi god leader."

Richard Dawkins, Four Horsemen

Oh, come on!

I understand people like to come together in a common cause or value, but congregating and having sunday meetings is a completely different thing. Things like this really anger me, because this is exactly the opposite being a free rational thinker or skeptic.
A free thinker is one who forms opinions based on reason rather than dogma. That is not 'exactly the opposite' of a community of such people congregating on a Sunday.
Solitary life and isolation are not requisites for free thought. If they are then why come to Think Atheist, a community with similar interests and motivations?
Other than being an Atheist, we are all independent of our actions and thoughts, we are all our own individual self. We are not connected in any eternal bondage or any of that other nonsensical ideologies.
According to the article no 'nonsensical ideology' was involved. The meeting consisted of a Powerpoint presentation about science, urgings to live a good life (because there's no afterlife), and classic rock-n-roll.
That sounds more akin to taking a class at a liberal arts college than to eternal bondage.

This is exactly how cults and religion start. It may start out as a harmless thing, but eventually someone will come and try to brainwash and manipulate others to follow that individual as some sort of demi god leader.

Exactly how many cults, religions, and gods originate in vehement opposition to belief in cults, religion and gods? Or based on Queen's 'We Will Rock You'? Or based on antimatter theory?

I just doon't understand why some Atheists or free thinkers or rational thinkers feel the need to give atheism religious characteristics

The aim is to offer atheists, agnostics, secular humanists, and freethinkers all the educational, inspirational, and social and emotional benefits of traditional faith-based churches; using a rational and secular approach to religious questions of life, love, meaning, and happiness.

Stand-up comedian Sanderson Jones, the group founder, calls it 'Sunday Assembly' and bristles at suggestions that he's starting some kind of cult. The article writer, Brian Wheeler, calls it an 'Atheist Church' and heavily plays up the 'atheism is a religion' fallacy throughout the article. But Jones is neither starting a religion nor engaging in atheistic 'brainwashing and manipulation' of any kind. As such the article is simply a showcase of Wheeler's biased and unethical reporting about atheists.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Torture Works

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Obfuskation 47 seconds ago. 15 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service