I feel there is a new cult religion on the rise, and  it may be some sort of demented warped version of a disbelief made to fit an idea. I was reading this article, and many people had the same concerns as me

"What happens in a Atheist Church"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21319945

There is a concern among some non-believers that atheism is developing into a religion in its own right, with its own code of ethics and self-appointed high priest

"It will become an organised religion. It's inevitable. A belief system will set in. There will be a structure, an ethical outlook on life," says architect Robbie Harris.

I understand people like to come together in a common cause or value, but congregating and having sunday meetings is a completely different thing. Things like this really anger me, because this is exactly the opposite being a free rational thinker or skeptic. Other than being an Atheist, we are all independent of our actions and thoughts, we are all our own individual self. We are not connected in any eternal bondage or any of that other nonsensical ideologies.

This is exactly how cults and religion start. It may start out as a harmless thing, but eventually someone will come and try to brainwash and manipulate others to follow that individual as some sort of demi god leader. I just doon't understand why some Atheists or free thinkers or rational thinkers feel the need to give atheism religious characteristics

I would like to hear your opinions on this matter.

Views: 698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting article.  I don't entirely agree with your reaction to it, however.  You might be right, though.  I'd say it's too early to tell.  It could end up becoming a new cult or it could just become a great social outlet and way to foster community among like-minded folks.

Humans seem to be instinctively social and clannish, which is part of the problem.  Balanced against that, atheists and freethinkers tend to be independent, and more focused on reason than on conformity of thought.  Which, ironically, is also part of a different problem. 

I have no way of knowing how  this will turn out.  Way too many unknown variables.  But, I'm definitely interested in updates to see how it progresses.

I agree, no "Church".  If a group of atheist are going to meet regularly.  They should meet on Friday or Saturday night for pizza and beer.  ;-)

I think atheists could form a basic social contract, a set of well formed axioms that 'settle' a few basic points of unbelief, but I would not be happy with a priesthood, icons, temples, or even large buildings as an institution. Atheism is about being in the world in a rather new way, that can be at times unsettling, but most times enlightening. 

Anyway, when the more 'lose cannon' churches fold, there should be enough church space for any number of new 'public service' focused operations. Soup kitchens without the mandatory 'soul saving' could be one model.

The late Paul Kurtz did construct an ethical system called "secular humanism."  And it did have its list of tenets.  But he didn't dictate them on stone tablets as received by a burning bush; he merely organized what atheists already feel.  And at no time did Kurtz ever represent himself as any kind of "demi-god."  he simply wanted to provide guidelines for what he considered an authentic, meaningful, ethical, moral, generous life. People don't worship Paul Kurtz.  There was no such thing as a "religion" growing up around him.  He didn't suggest building churches to his ideas.  But he certainly was a role model to emulate.

As it happens, I am in full accord with Kurtz' published paradigm, but I have others of my own to add to it.  I don't have "beliefs."  If atheists have any "belief," it is the belief that the most efficacious path to a meaningful life is through science, evidence, and logic - not through obeisance to some mythical savior.  We are reality-oriented; and the reality is that we are all going to die, and stay dead. 

There's a pub in London that is always full all day Sunday with many Brits, Aussies and New Zealanders - it is literally called "The Church", giving rise to the humorous,"See you in church on Sunday" call between parting buddies the night before. 

The Brits aren't really prone to cults, they can seldom agree with each other long enough to form one.

That was then, this is now

Nex time I'm back, I wanna attend Sunday servicces here...

Bring a pillow --

I thought that was towel?

That is very interesting. I feel like most of us American Atheists tend to differ from our counterpart atheists in Europe. For us we tend to live in a society where Evangelical Christianity has a very strong influence in our communities, laws, way of life and our country. As opposed to Europe which has its share of right wing theism but at a very different and minimal level. 

I think things like mimicking churches or religious traditions for European secularists is not a big deal since religion does not control every aspect of their lives. More so its just one of those past things that is so integrated in the history of Europeans, that things like going to a pub and humorously calling it a  "church" is not that big of deal.

For us American Atheists, we are very small minority, and we are the most discriminated against, that to us even associating atheism with something related to religious ideology, seems quite odd and unwarranted. I think that is where American Atheists and European Atheists have different perceptions. We are trying to distance ourselves as far as possible from irks of evangelical fundamental Christians and for some of us extremist Islamists, that we can't really vision ourselves  being the very thing we are trying to get away from. For European Atheists, there isn't too much of trying to get away from Christians or religious theists. Also lets face it, Christianity is culturally very integrated in Western societies, that following certain traditions and way of life, doesn't seem much of a big deal for European secularists. In this case would be, the whole "Atheist Church" thing.

thanks

RSS

Blog Posts

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service