Atheism:The lie of the century Pt. 2

Atheism:The lie of the century Pt. 2

On January of  2011 the life of a man named mark Hunter was changed forever, the father of 3 who was a militant atheist never thought one day he would give his life to Jesus Christ. Mark who once distinguished  himself as an “avowed and fiercely proud atheist” is now spreading the gospel of Jesus Christ. He described his journey from atheism to Christianity as “significant, dramatic and complete total life change.” I had the opportunity to interview Mark about his experience and this is what he had to say:

How long were you an atheist for?

I was a definite atheist throughout my entire adulthood from 1994 (aged 19) until early 2010. Before that I was an agnostic I guess because I never really declared my disbelief in God – I was just sitting on the fence – but was definitely leaning the wrong way from an early age.

Were you a Christian before you became an atheist?

No, sadly, I was never was a Christian.

What does being a Christian mean to you?

For me being a Christian means absolute purpose and absolute happiness. No longer am I wandering around this world aimlessly trying to satisfy my materialistic and personal desires. My life now is as a servant of Christ trying not just to share the word but to actually live the word. I’ve always been a good person, and that hasn’t changed since becoming a Christian, but the real difference is now I know where my future lies and I know what I must do.

When you were an atheist, did you ever think you could have been wrong about there not being a God?

No, not once, ever. I was so completely convinced of my “beliefs” as an atheist which were based upon (and confirmed by) a life of misery, pain and suffering. I’d always firmly assured myself that to know God was to literally feel his presence. Because I felt nothing at all therefore there must be no God. Looking back on it now I didn’t realise how right I actually was about feeling his presence but the problem was I was looking with my eyes closed. I was always expecting a neatly packaged, date stamped, undeniable proof of his existence. Atheists, unfortunately, will accept nothing less.

What were the circumstances that led you to leave atheism?

My life as an atheist had been literally founded upon successive layers of perceived failure, misery and depression. After all, if God had existed, why would my life be so awful? Many atheists assume that converts only turn to Christ when life suddenly collapses and the psychology cannot deal with the problem. For me, it was the complete reverse, as I had experienced a troubling and difficult childhood and adulthood. It was in fact, the first good thing to come into my life, that forced me to question everything. I had just exited an awful marriage from a closet lesbian which had been the final straw that broke the back of my disastrous life to that point. I was contemplating suicide and tentatively called out to God, asking him, if there was there to just show me a sign. Anything. A series of very strange and unlikely events began that lead me to meeting my new girlfriend (and future wife to be). This fantastic woman, a successful business woman, was not just logical, smart and rational person but also wonderfully caring and generous. She was positive, supportive and happy and nothing ever seemed to get her down. I was desperate to know her life secret after my own long life of struggle. When she revealed she was a Christian I was quietly stunned but fascinated in equal measure. I began asking questions here and there, which then turned into a floodgate, and the rest is well… you can probably guess the rest.

You are writing a book about your experience, correct? What exactly do you want people to get out of it?

I am writing one as we speak yes. I want to share my personal testimony with Christians and non believers alike. The book is particularly aimed at the non religious with a view, in simple terms, to explain how accepting Christ into their lives can be a positive thing – a force for good. I have outlined a simple series of very small steps to allow someone to make that first leap of faith. I’ve also set out to debunk a lot of atheist misconceptions about faith, organized religions and science. As a former atheist I think I have a unique insight into how they perceive all of these things. For Christians who read it I hope I can really inspire their faith furthermore by showing even someone like me can be saved and that it is worth the effort on their part. Never give up on even the most ardent non believer. Beneath it all they completely suppress the  real truth that they seek.

Speaking with atheists, I have noticed something very similar in their attitude, they always sound angry. Why is that?

I wrote a comment on my blog lately discussing this very topic. Atheists, like any belief system (and atheism is essentially a belief), are a varied group. I have met plenty of wonderful, friendly and empathic atheists who would do anything for anyone and I have also met some incredibly ignorant, hostile and brutal fundamentalist atheists. For me, the latter seems to form the majority nowadays, and they are gaining strength all the time it seems. For me, these fundamentalist atheists are the new lions surrounding us Christians in the coliseum, and no matter how vicious they are, or who they take from us, they will not ultimately prevail. Christianity has survived centuries of persecution and this is (and will be) simply the latest in a long line of such failed attacks. They get angry because they perceive our beliefs as illogical, irrational and without scientific merit and as such we are treated like stupid, undisciplined and ignorant children who it would appear following religion like blinded morons. Sadly their perception is completely and terribly wrong. I also think there is an element of self doubt that creeps in from time to time. I never engage to strongly with them because I was never open to it. The time will come when they naturally begin to question such a strong stance.

When you look back at how you used to insult God, what goes through your mind?

To be brutally honest I felt complete shame and disgust at myself. It took me weeks and weeks of fervent apologizing to God when i first converted before I felt sufficiently forgiven. Even now I still feel the tinge of remorse but its just a fleeting reminder which serves to fuel my faith ever more. I know he forgave me instantly but still I apologized overand over again.

What advice do you have to give to a Christian that is thinking about becoming an atheist? Is there anything you can tell them to stop them from making the same mistake you did?

Well, the biggest thing I think, is to trust in God. Make the leap of faith that you are probably already contemplating in doing and let him catch you. Seek forgiveness from God and accept Jesus as your personal saviour. Do this with absolute and total humility and honesty. Pray every day and literally throw yourself into the Bible – read it from start to finish – absorb yourself in it as if life itself depended on it. Life your life with purpose and fullness and submit to his will and his plan for you. My book is going to cover all of this in greater detail but this is it in a nutshell. God bless you all!

I would like to thank Mark for doing this interview!

Please support Mark by visiting his blog www.atheist-convert.co.uk and by picking up his book when it comes out.

You can also follow him on twitter: @Atheist_Convert

Conclusion

Mark is not the first and will not be the last atheist to walk away from atheism, I believe that by the power of God many others will leave atheism once they find out that it’s built upon lies and deception. I asked ( @borofergie ) who happens to be an atheist, how can he be so sure there is no God. This is what he had to say:

No one can be 100% sure that there is no God, especially since there isn’t a single agreed definition of God. The term atheist does not refer to someone who is 100% certain that there are no gods, it simply describes someone that has reached the conclusion that the existence of such a “God” is highly unlikely.

He clearly states that atheists aren’t 100 percent sure there is no God and that atheism is simply the belief that the existence of God is unlikely. Ladies and gentlemen, need I say more? It’s clear that atheists do not know where they stand on their beliefs, atheism is built upon lies and it’s only a matter of time before all their lies are exposed. Atheists know that there is a God but they simply refuse to obey, which is why I stated on part one of my report that atheism is simply rebellion against God.

Thank you very much for reading my report, keep Mark in your prayers and ask God to give him strength as he embarks into his new journey with Jesus Christ. It won’t be an easy one but blessed are those who will endure till the end. God bless you all.

- Miss Raissa

http://missraissa.com/?p=162

Views: 233

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, my life sucks, therefore there is no god. That's a great argument against god! Except that it's retarded. That's like an incredibly self-involved take on the problem of evil.

1) I am so important that a loving god would have to make everything in my life great.
2) There are bad things in my life.
3) Therefore god must not exist because if he was he'd pay attention to me!

I'm glad he doesn't count himself among atheists anymore. Arrogant, self-involved prick. His atheism was obviously based on self-interest as opposed to rational inquiry or even the slightest degree of thought. It's people like him that give theists the impression that atheists are selfish, angry, and arrogant. And now he's writing a book about it.

Miss Raissa, here's the deal.

In order to have a conversation with us, you must adopt our context, our worldview, and our values. But, once you have done that, you are no longer a Christian.

Obviously, you wont do that, just as we won't do the opposite, so our discussion is kindof moot. But, I tell you a few things about how we think, just to give you a taste - and, I am sure, that this way of thinking is shared by more people in the world than any interpretation of any religion.

So, what do we consider evidence? A book? No, there are many kind of books, everything is written down just like the opposite of everything. A testimony? No, people are stupid, they lie, they are manipulated, bribed, etc.

Evidence means one thing for us: empirical evidence, what can be objectively tested and reproduced by anyone with the proper apparatus and the will to do so. Anything without experimental justification is called, at best, a hypothesis (if it statisfies some criteria, like it's not self-contradicting, etc). Why this way of thinking is good? Because it has given you everything, and has to power to give you even more if it is used widely enough, while religion has give you, at best, jack shit.

If you have read this far, I thank you, Miss Raissa. - Ups, I just realised this was not put here by her. Ah, nvm now.

I encourage you to post a response on her site.
He was never an Atheist. You can stick "militant" in there to make it more convincing and impacting til you're blue in the face, but that doesn't mean he was ever an Atheist. He said his proof of God would have been feeling his presence, "literally". But no Atheist is satisfied with that because it doesn't prove god. Only a Christian bitter at God would accept that--- someone already inclined to believe who was simply skeptical would, i.e.: not an Atheist.
Yes. I don't know a self-proclaimed "militant atheist" who would become a christian. What about religion has changes that makes it more believable? NOTHING.
There are three things we know for sure about humans: they lie, they may be delusional, and they are prone to mis-understanding.

According to our peer Jimmy Wales,

\"The word militant, which is both an adjective and a noun, essentially means 'to be open to using violence to achieve an end' \

So this dude was like what - the hill side strangler before he forgot what not believing in god meant???

It's Miss Raissa. I've gone back and forth with her on Twitter a time or two. If brains were cash, she'd be in debt. Bigoted, willfully ignorant, and continuously confusing her assertions with fact, she is a prime example of religious stupidity.
Would you say she was the national deficit?  *big grin*
No, I think Ray Comfort is closer to that than she is.
But isn't Ray a New Zealander?
Sadly, I think he is. I can assue you that he is at the flattest point of the bell curve.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service