Now that I'm an atheist, I need some new vocabulary.  "Oh my God!", "Good Lord!", Jesus Christ!", and "God damn it" all have to go.  What can I replace these God-isms with except for Atheism-isms - but which ones?  What else to say instead?  There ought to be a hand-book or something... let's make one.  And let's have fun (I hope) doing it.

Tags: christ, damn, god, good, it, jesus, lord, my, oh

Views: 253

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The vocabulary you use is best adjusted according to the target audience.

First of all, I have to say that there is NO such thing as bad words . . . only bad intent.

Taking that into consideration, religious folk will not "get" or care about atheist substitutions for God, Jesus or anything else they hold holy. Atheists might enjoy it . . . but believers will be left in the dark, in general.

"God damn it" will hold more import than "FSM damn it". "For Christ's sake" will grab attention more than "Great Zeus".

Like it or not, most cultures around the world identify with an Abrahamic god. That's our history and that's the root of many cultures.

Shock values comes from challenging the accepted worldview. I can only hope that, one day, people will exclaim, "What in the name of Science are you talking about?!?"
I think I'm going to start exclaiming that. Thanks.
Ditto.
In some ways I want them to be shocked! I want to take the name of thier lord in vain. The Christians will care less if I say "Vishnue fucking Vishnue". But other than breaking Victorian Rules of Conduct, who cares about cussing. Only a little more than 100 years ago was "Humbug" the same as "Bullshit". Now even bullshit isnt that big of a deal.

I say we take the name of thier god and shove down their God Damn Fucking Throats like they do to us all the time!
one of my favorites is... Jesus H. fist fucking Christ in a traveling midget circus!!
Spongebob Square pants uses the curse word, "Tartar sauce!" ;)
I now like the grilled cheesus reference from Glee! These are so good!
Usually I just swear.
one of my favorites is... Jesus H. fist fucking Christ in a traveling midget circus!!

Ha ha ha - that is SO bad!

I saw this on this website (or maybe it was A/N): Jesus H. Christ on a unicycle.

I liked that one. I used to have a Catholic friend who went to church every Sunday but she would always say Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick! lol
Well hot damn if it ain't jesus christ... on a stick! lolol Thanks for that post.

lol

christ on a bicycle is along these lines :)

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Devlin Cuite 11 minutes ago. 143 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 4 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.